Very low FPS at EGLC London City Airport

Bought this scenery today and installed it on my ORBX Library, outside the sim (SSD drive), using ORBX Central.

I've noticed too low FPS, about 8.0 only in average, with frames locked at 27 which works perfectly Ok with my other scenery and airports (including the other ORBX related scenery). I have configured EGLC with Static Aircraft and Gate Equipment not enabled for gates 6, 7, 21 and 23, and Car Park not enabled. I don't have TEGB South, but ORBX Global and ORBX England.

I'll keep the airport installed, but it's now disabled from the addon.xml catalog until I know better what could be happening.

Any hints/suggestions?.

Thanks, Ed

My specs:

P3D v4.5-HF#1 (Client) - Win 7 Ultimate SP1 x64 // Rig: Corsair 600T Graphite - ASUS MBoard X99 Deluxe - CPU Intel i7-5820k 6-cores - 32GB RAM - MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX1080Ti 11GB - 3 x SSD x 1TB Samsung/Crucial + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD External Seagate 2TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000W

Search for a recent support post here that details how you can improve frame rates by disabling the modelled buildings in London.  It's not a perfect solution but it works until hardware catches up with the software.

There is no solution for today's computers.  As with all cutting edge scenery, it requires settings to be reduced or compromises made with today's average computers.  However, give it a couple of generations and it will be silky smooth.  Every iteration of London for FS2002,  FS2004, FSX, and now TE GB Sth for P3D has had terrible fps, yet if you were to load up FSX bare on your pc now you'd probably get 60fps over the default London.

Such id simming life.

I'll do some tests with lower settings and check if I'm able to disable some buildings in the London area in the next hours. To me, according to what I read in the forums, this scenery is not optimized at all. Developers should consider a light version to cover less capable and not only high-end or super-PC computers. There is no reason to have hundreds of complex buildings if thereafter everybody have an slideshow in their sims, and there's no reason to pay for a scenery with buildings to have to disable them thereafter, either.

To me the topic remains unanswered.

Regards, Ed

15 hours ago, edpatino said:

To me the topic remains unanswered.

Regards, Ed

I think I've answered it satisfactorily, perhaps you didn't like my response?  The fact is the scenery can be run on high end computers, the rest of us, me included, have to make concessions.  Orbx doesn't have to downgrade the capabilities of a scenery package if there are people who can enjoy the scenery at full detail.  Finding where the package options sit best with your hardware is part and parcel of flightsimming. The option to disable the FTX_GBS_3DM files in the scenery has proven to be a good way to enjoy reasonable frame rates over reasonable London Scenery.  If you want to have great frame rates over detailed London scenery then you have to have the hardware to run it.  It's just physics when it comes down to it.

14 hours ago, John Dow said:

I think I've answered it satisfactorily, perhaps you didn't like my response?  The fact is the scenery can be run on high end computers, the rest of us, me included, have to make concessions.  Orbx doesn't have to downgrade the capabilities of a scenery package if there are people who can enjoy the scenery at full detail.  Finding where the package options sit best with your hardware is part and parcel of flightsimming. The option to disable the FTX_GBS_3DM files in the scenery has proven to be a good way to enjoy reasonable frame rates over reasonable London Scenery.  If you want to have great frame rates over detailed London scenery then you have to have the hardware to run it.  It's just physics when it comes down to it.

John, please don't take this entirely for you. I appreciate your collaboration very much, but in my opinion it's time to let get other people involved.

What I propose is the developer (Turbulent Designs) to deliver an optional "lite" version, otherwise the scenery is non-flyable in medium to low-end systems (and probably some high-end machines also) and I'm sure this was not ORBX's intent when releasing the scenery. And I can tell that I have a good number of ORBX products installed here, all of them with good performance, with no exception.

Again, to me, there's no point in producing a scenery that will not work in most part of the customer installations.

For now, London City will remain disabled on my scenery addons catalog. This was not what I was expecting when I decided to purchase this product.

Thanks again, but would like to hear something satisfactory from Turbulent Designs.

Ed

Hello,

The London area has been notorious for its effect on simulators for a very long time, as I am sure

you are perfectly well aware.

Any added detail will of course require more resources to run it.

For example:

EU England + EGLC

1. Road and air traffic set to maximum.

2. Cloudy weather.

3. All detail sliders fully to the right

4. EGLC enabled

5. Maximised window: 11fps

1. Road and air traffic set to zero: 15 fps (+4 fps)

2. Sunny day: 18 fps (+3 fps)

3. Detail sliders all reset to Normal/Medium: 40 fps (+22fps)

4. Disable EGLC: 43 fps (+3 fps)

5. Smaller window: 47 fps (+4 fps)

The zoom level is also influential, zoom level 1 versus zoom level 0.3

at maximum settings, +4 fps. 

Hello, as you point out, we all are well aware of the limitations/characteristics of the London area. If you look the other way around for a moment, given the known FPS penalty in the London area, why the designers did not take this into account to produce a better performing scenery?.

In an effort to end this discussion, could it be possible to exchange this EGLC for another scenery, I mean, I uninstall it completely from my sim PC with ORBX Central and in exchange I get another airport I can choose among your extensive list?.

Please let me know.

Thanks, Ed

Hello,

it has been demonstrated to you that the airport carries a penalty of about 3 fps.

You should be able to achieve at least the same frame rates as listed above,

using the settings as listed above, given that your PC hardware is more modern than mine.

If you think that you should be given an exchange product, then you should apply

using a support ticket

Archived