Loading times in Washington/Or TE.

NeilG

I've just moved my Washington and Or HD to a HDD when previously it had been on a SSD. This was for the usual 'space' reasons. Now the loading times are vastly more than before, Id say it takes over 10 minutes. The HDD in question is a fast one so I'm wondering if something is wrong or that everyone else experiences the same thing. Thanks

Neil.

I think you will find it is normal for a HDD to be that much slower especially after  getting used to SSD loading time. I can even vouch that SSD appears slower when compared to my NVME M2 disk.  The SD version will obviously load quicker as there is less GB to go through, 200+ GB for HD vs 58Gb (Oregon SD). I have old eyes but really cannot see that much difference between the HD and the SD with the SD version capable of a higher Texture setting on my PC than I had with the HD version, especially at around 1500-2000+ft. I guess if you want to fly under 2000ft all the time then HD would be better.

1 hour ago, NeilG said:

I've just moved my Washington and Or HD to a HDD when previously it had been on a SSD. This was for the usual 'space' reasons. Now the loading times are vastly more than before, Id say it takes over 10 minutes. The HDD in question is a fast one so I'm wondering if something is wrong or that everyone else experiences the same thing. Thanks

Neil.

I'm very surprised it takes 10 minutes to load, I've approximately 25 tb (yes terrabytes) of ortho scenery and all Orbx TE products spread across 8 internal and external drives including both ssd and hdd types. I have all orthoscenery enabled which makes for an extremely lengthy scenery config file but I'm guessing that I only have to wait approximately 90 seconds from launching my flight to being sat in the cockpit. Looking at your spec there must be something amiss somewhere, do you defrag and optimise your hdd's at all, that could improve load times if they are currently heavily fragmented.

Aah, good suggestion. I’ve got so used to using SSD’s and being told I should not defrag, I’d forgotten to do that to tye HDD. RIGHT! I’m going to do that straight away. Thanks.

Archived