Migrating from W7 to W10 with as less sceneries re-download as possible

gaab

Hello,

I have read with attention the Central User Guide, but not found anything on the topic.

I run Prepar3DV4.5 HF1 and intent to take that opportunity to move to Prepar3DV4.5 HF2.

I have a dual-boot W7/W10 during my migration to ease the process.

I will, of course, un-install P3DV4 from W7 to be able to re-install it on W10.

Concerning my ORBX sceneries, in order to re-download as less sceneries as possible, I envisage the following approaches

1 - keep a back-up of ORBX sub-directory (as installed today by FTX V3). Will Central be able to take advantage of it ?

2 - install Central in W7 and create there my libraries (on a drive available in both systems).  Will Central in W10 be able to use them

(should be, according to the User Guide "Moving a library to another location")

Any other suggestions are very welcome.

Thanks for your help.

Gérard

Nota : I know already that I will have to at least re-download Global and TreeHD...

Hi!

18 hours ago, gaab said:

1 - keep a back-up of ORBX sub-directory (as installed today by FTX V3). Will Central be able to take advantage of it ?

Yes, however you will need to run 'Verify Files' on each product on the new installation to make sure that files that aren't in the ORBX directory are installed. The ORBX folder has most of the scenery content, though we do have some files that install into other folders (effects, elevation adjustments, etc).

18 hours ago, gaab said:

2 - install Central in W7 and create there my libraries (on a drive available in both systems).  Will Central in W10 be able to use them

Yes, anything installed into a library can be used without any re-installation (as per the user guide).

On 10/2/2019 at 3:39 PM, gaab said:

On 10/3/2019 at 10:10 AM, Mitchell Williamson said:

Yes, anything installed into a library can be used without any re-installation (as per the user guide).

I started the "option 2" - create libraries while in Windows 7 and to my surprise there is a lot of re-downloads.

I was aware that Global sceneries would need that, but to my surprise even regions (Germany North, Germany South so far ..) needed 1.12 Go and 1.53 Go of download.

Am i doing something wrong and should I go on ?

Thanks

Gérard

Hello,

I decided to go on.... and I migrated all Global and Regions - a little bit tedious (and the airports are still to migrate :(  )

A "migrate all" would have been welcomed.

Please find here some "results errors" of Central 4.0.16 during the migration.

I know enought about add-ons management to fix them my self, but I thought you would be interested to get a detailed description.

I deleted the first library I created on a wrong disk and followed the procedure as described in the "User Guide".

1 - deleted the old library

2 - moved the folder (after closing Central)

3 - created the new library

I had to "re-install" all the scenery, despite using the "Resynchronise Simulator" ?

But the reference to the old (deleted) library is still in the "C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\add-ons.cfg"

Same for BuildingsHD : the package created by  FTX has not been deleted by the migration.

[Package.0]
Path=G:\Prepar3D v4\ORBX\Scripts\BuildingsHD
Title=Orbx Buildings HD
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE
[DiscoveryPath.0]   My new (moved) OrbxLib
PATH=G:\OrbxLib\p3dv4
TITLE=Orbx Regions
ACTIVE=true
REQUIRED=false
[DiscoveryPath.1]   My deleted OrbxLib
PATH=Q:\Simulators\OrbxLib\p3dv4                <== this folder (OrbxLib) don't exist anymore
TITLE=Orbx Main Library
ACTIVE=true
REQUIRED=false

After checking with P4AO, it complains also about Orbx ObjectFlow 2 :

The add-on.cfg in the Roaming folder still contains reference to Orbx "ObjectFlow 2" in Documents\Prepar3D V4 Add-ons

which has been (correctly) deleted during the migration.

[Package.2]
Path=C:\Users\Pilote\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\Orbx ObjectFlow 2
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

Another problem with  "Orbx Global OpenLC" insertion point: the xml entries are inserted ABOVE instead of BELOW the given scenery (I own Tongass_Fjord ...)

The remaining scenery entries (while HF2 as not been verified...) are correctly positionned BELOW.

Hope this help.

Let me know if you need more information.

Regards - Gérard

Update to my previous post (edit no more available)

After thinking back about "Building" and "Orbx ObjectFlow 2" entries in add-ons.cfg, these entries should have been deleted by Prepar3d when it start as they are no more in the "discovery path".

As I am still in the migration "step", I have not launched Prepar3D so far.

Sorry.

Gérard

So, I finished my full migration to libraries and "asked the boss", I mean Prepar3d to show the results

1 - some sceneries are still at the top (yes, I have setup the two insertion points)

238188760_topofscenery.jpg.23486e602439f0c4aa5e5fddd7401328.jpg

2 - remaining sceneries are correctly after my first insertion point

2016588442_insertionpoint1.jpg.e2355462d921148b8be6a83169f8d69a.jpg

But I still think GLOBAL AIRPORTS should be at the very end of airport list, to copewith new airport replacing a "Global one"   (I mentionned it years ago)

3 - I am confused be Vector AEC just in the middle of all the Elevation Stubs : looks strange for me, but I may be wrong ;)

The "Synchronise Simulator"  have been done with no change...

Thanks for youy feedback

Gérard

Hi,

"Spying" to try to understand why there are two ENG sceneries at the top, I noticed the following

In EU_WALES addon.xml
  <AddOn.Component>
    <Category>Scenery</Category>
    <Path>ORBX\FTX_EU\FTX_EU_ENG_05_SCENERY</Path>
    <Name>FTX_EU_ENG_05_SCENERY Orbx EU Wales</Name>
  </AddOn.Component>

In EU_SCOTLAND
  <AddOn.Component>
    <Name>FTX_EU_ENG_05_SCENERY Orbx EU Scotland</Name>
  </AddOn.Component>

There is no <Layer> and comments are EU Wales and EU_Scotland but path is ENG_05_SCENERY. 

Which is already defined in EU_England
  <AddOn.Component>
    <Name>FTX_EU_ENG_05_SCENERY</Name>
    <Layer>143</Layer>
  </AddOn.Component>
with the right <Layer>

Same for "Global OpenLC Europe" which refers to FTXAA_ORBXLIBS
  <AddOn.Component>
    <Path>ORBX\FTX_AU\FTXAA_ORBXLIBS</Path>
    <Name>FTXAA_ORBXLIBS Orbx Global openLC Europe</Name>
  </AddOn.Component>

already defined in "Orbx Libraries" add-on
  <AddOn.Component>
    <Path>ORBX\FTX_AU\FTXAA_ORBXLIBS</Path>
    <Name>FTXAA_ORBXLIBS</Name>
    <Layer>144</Layer>
  </AddOn.Component>

Hope it helps to catch these (small) kirks.

But it look like Prepar3d ignore these redefinitions - with no message (usually ContentError.txt is very verbose !)

Regards

Gérard

Archived