Scenery Ordering - Option Enable Advanced Layering

gsnde

Operating system:  Win10

Simulator:  P3Dv45

Screenshot:  n/a

Issue:  

I understand that by enabling advanced layering OrbX Central tries to act comparable to Lorby-si's Addon-Manager. It will sequence thee entries by using the:

<Layer>xxx</Layer>

tag in the addon.xml. It makes a backup of the original file by giving the extension ocbackup and then adds the layer number that it think is appropriate.

Question1: Is that understanding correct?

Question2: If you deselect the option "Enable Advanced Layering" - will the backup file (*.ocbackup) be made active again? More precise: does disabling the option removes the layer order from Orbx Central?

Question3: Is the sequence of layers added to other addon.xml files by OrbX Central recalculated each time OrbX Central adds / removes an OrbX scenery

Hi!

16 hours ago, gsnde said:

Question1: Is that understanding correct?

Yes. Similar to Lorby's tool, it puts both add-ons and scenery.cfg entries into a single linear list and then layers Orbx products appropriately within that list. It'll then write those layers back out to scenery.cfg and add-on.xmls as appropriate. 

Question2: If you deselect the option "Enable Advanced Layering" - will the backup file (*.ocbackup) be made active again? More precise: does disabling the option removes the layer order from Orbx Central?

Not currently, the backup and layering will remain as they are.

Question3: Is the sequence of layers added to other addon.xml files by OrbX Central recalculated each time OrbX Central adds / removes an OrbX scenery

Yes. They are calculated when you Install, Verify or Update a product, or when you run 'Sync Simulator' on the Help page.

Not to butt into this topic, but I have a question about installing Tongass Fjiords into P3D. As you probably know, Poppet, at Prepar3d. com outlines a specific ordering layer that has to manually be added to scenery.cfg. Would this be recognized by ORBX Direct or any of its processes? thanks...

Sherm

One final question, related to your second answer: that means that you ccannot opt out of Advanced layering once you have turned it on, right?

You can, but it may cause unintended side effects due to the different layering methods.  We're looking at ways to update Central to make it easy to switch between the layering methods without causing strange effects.

13 hours ago, shermank said:

Not to butt into this topic, but I have a question about installing Tongass Fjiords into P3D. As you probably know, Poppet, at Prepar3d. com outlines a specific ordering layer that has to manually be added to scenery.cfg. Would this be recognized by ORBX Direct or any of its processes? thanks...

I'm not aware of this specific ordering layer you're referring to. Can you post a link?

1 hour ago, Mitchell Williamson said:

You can, but it may cause unintended side effects due to the different layering methods.  We're looking at ways to update Central to make it easy to switch between the layering methods without causing strange effects.

I'm not aware of this specific ordering layer you're referring to. Can you post a link?

Hi Mitchell,

this   takes you to the Avsim forum where Elaine Dixon (Poppet) links to instructions from people at Return to Misty Moorings. 

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/491556-installing-tongass-fjords-x-prepar3d-v3-v4/

scrolling down, there are specific instructions about installing TF into  P3D, and adding some 40 specific TF elements to scenery.cfg.

if you do not care to dig into this, I understand. I do know this plan worked before ORBX CENTRAL began changing things.

sherm

7 minutes ago, shermank said:

Hi Mitchell,

this   takes you to the Avsim forum where Elaine Dixon (Poppet) links to instructions from people at Return to Misty Moorings. 

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/491556-installing-tongass-fjords-x-prepar3d-v3-v4/

scrolling down, there are specific instructions about installing TF into  P3D, and adding some 40 specific TF elements to scenery.cfg.

if you do not care to dig into this, I understand. I do know this plan worked before ORBX CENTRAL began changing things.

sherm

From a quick glance, the instructions for FTX Central 3 should apply similar to Orbx Central, though I cannot look into this further.

• 7 months later...

HI GP

Lorby's has nothing to do with advanced layering....the latest Orbx Central has a check box of advanced layering, but it is with a notation that it is no lonber supported in OC.,,and will be removed in a subsequent update. So, in short, Advanced Layering is not an option.

Sherm

Advanced Layering is now the default and should be used for 99.99% of users. Advanced Layering works fine with the Lorby tool, and a number of other third-party layering tools.

Legacy Layering is no longer supported and causes numerous issues, so we do not recommend enabling it.

Archived