Loading times - settings

stehas78

Welcome to the forum.  I don't know if the SD or HD version load any differently, and I'm not sure about the memory but I do know from recent experience that my loading times are directly related to what drive XP is on.

I have everything Orbx makes for XP, and it was all installed on an external WD 8 TB drive.  I timed the loading, it took 15 minutes for me to see the cockpit, with a new SSD it takes 1:46 to see that same screen.

2 hours ago, stehas78 said:

Hi,

Which graphics settings have the biggest effect on loading times - and how much quicker are the SD versions of OR and WA?

Is it mainly the texture quality? I have 16 GB memory, with a 6 GB graphics card.

Cheers. 

You raise 2 points for clarification. The first is about loading times. It very much depends on  the Disk speed, like Jack says and also the amount of scenery/addons you have installed. The sim has to read the Disk and then pick the scenery area to load.

Regarding the SD and HD versions, SD is quicker because it is only about 50GB versus 200+ for the HD version, therefore less to read and less to write and load.

• 4 weeks later...

I have the i5 8600K because it has a good reputation for easy overclocking without much risk. It is also a cheaper way of achieving a higher speed cpu. The newer ones can get 5.0Ghz but appear to cost much, much more.

Reducing visibility will increase fps but a good way to reduce the visibility is not reducing the LOD but reducing the Visibility, via mist, in the customised weather option. Knock it back to 40 miles for example.

Remember that in XP, in the Settings page, the options on the left hand side of the page deal with graphics demands and therefore on your GPU, and the right hand side concerns your CPU, like World Objects etc. You need to try and balance both together depending on which is the weakest link, CPU or GPU. No good having a CPU running at 5.0Ghz if your GPU is a GTX 750 for example. 5.0Ghz would probably require a GTX 1080 +

Archived