Creating an X-Plane Copy

Blackrat

I wonder if someone can assist me with a minor problem.

To try out a new X-Plane beta I would usually make a copy of my X-Plane folder and update it to a new beta therefore keeping my original folder intact in case anything goes wrong.

Since using Orbx Central and creating a library for all my Orbx products on its own SSD I can't figure a way of copying the X-Plane folder and having the new copy include all the Orbx links to the separate Orbx library intact. When I copy the folder the links to the library just copy as empty folders rather than links.

Is there an easy way around this?

Thanks.

Mick

Hi 

The easiest way I've found is to simply make shortcuts from where you have your Orbx scenery stored back to  the 2nd copy of your XPlane actual Custom Scenery folder

i.e. Make a shortcut in the Orbx library and then move the shortcut to the Custom scenery folder in your second copy of XPlane

So for example these are shortcuts I made in my Orbx library ( on a different SSD than the XPlane installation) which I then placed back in the Custom Scenery folder of my 2nd XPlane installation

6F1jEJg.jpg

And when it loads up the scenery_packs.ini file looks like this:

Z6BhEBY.jpg

On my system, the shortcuts have two little red dots in the path making them easy to identify . On my D drive SSD the XPlane installation is in its own folder, but the Orbx scenery on D is in a separate folder so I made shortcuts to it. Also I have Orbx scenery in the E drive SSd as well.

You will have to had order the links once you run XPlane once to initialize the scenery_packs.ini but that isn't that much of an issue.

Hope this is of help

Cheers

Renault

PS - I have exactly the setup you describe - a "main" XPlane installation and a second one which I always update and test first before I update the "main" Xplane installation

Thanks renault

I was hoping there was a way to do it via Orbx Central avoiding any file manipulation but I will give this method a try.

At least all Orbx directories have 'Orbx' in the filename so are easy to identify.

Cheers

Mick

Archived