Darrington after a few too many

John Dow

Sir I am going to have to ask you to step out of the glider and accompany me to the police station for a certified breath test, I need to inform you that refusal to do so may result in suspension of your flying license for a period of 2 years (well ok I changed flying from driving!)

That's insane. Both the flying and the framerates.

My Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 at 3.14 GHz, 4 Gig RAM and GT8800 (512 Mb) won't let me run this place at any more than autogen at sparse and still I get stutters :(

does the ASUS Recording tool kill framerate like FRAPS does?

It's not bad but it's limited to 720 x 576 or 480 pixels.  To record this I had the screen set to 1680 x 1050 and the ASUS recorder to 720 x 480 and 20 fps.  It probably costs 2-5 fps but I haven't done any comparisons.  I definitely get smoother than this when I'm not recording.  This video also drops a few frames due to the setting of 20fps. 

My Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 at 3.14 GHz, 4 Gig RAM and GT8800 (512 Mb) won't let me run this place at any more than autogen at sparse and still I get stutters :(

You should be seeing at least what this video shows, as mine has 1-3 fps knocked off the top by the recording.

Checklist for you:

FSX Acceleration or Gold or SP2?

Autogen tweak Buildings 500 Trees try 800?

Ctrl+Alt+Del to check system CPU is at least 98% idle before starting FSX?

Nvidia control panel settings as per recommendations elsewhere on these forums?

Frame rates set in FSX to 22 to prevent high fps stuttering?

A couple of other pointers to possible bottlenecks: 

I have an SSD C Drive which has eliminated scenery loading stutters.  A velociraptor 10,000 rpm would also help if you didn't want to spend upwards of $400 on a 128GB SSD.

The video card could be a problem in PNW as well.  I have the ASUS GTX 260+ 896MB and it has helped in dense scenery as well.

With your rig in its current configuration you should be able to fly west into the mountains and get smooth flying up over 25fps once the autogen is simpler.  is that the case?

Archived