Blurry/misaligned textures at Brisbane

Hello everyone,

After installing ORBX Brisbane I immediately noticed that the runway textures are extemely blurry to the point where they look like they haven't been properly loaded into the sim:

brisbane_weird_001.png.3aab71a4953e6d2f3b5de2a3a9005f4e.png

I compared Brisbane to Cairns and found that the latter is much sharper:

brisbane_weird_001a.png.4bc9c04984b9e6cdb3cf759fbdd3fe3b.png

I have also noticed that some of the taxiway markings are misaligned:

brisbane_weird_002.png.e69d0b042f59dc53a640415d5488bfb1.png

I've read on this forum that the runway at Brisbane is quite spotty in real life, but according to Google Maps, this apparent misalignment does not exist:

brisbane_weird_002a.png.eb1ad85bf27e5de933262b7df86a0b17.png

Whilst taxiing to the gate, the taxiways themselves also look extremely blurry:

brisbane_weird_003.png.7ce0276cd53bc97231d9e546a4b3b351.png

When I finally reach the apron area, the textures suddenly look very sharp. These textures are misaligned with the taxiway textures:

brisbane_weird_004.png.31522d207447ea1d27e8f1afc53031c2.png

• I have ORBX Australia, CityScene Gold Coast and YBBN Brisbane installed. I do not have any other add-ons installed in the whole of Australia
  • I renamed all of the files inside ..\Prepar3D v4\ORBX\FTX_AU\FTXAUv2_05_SCENERY\scenery\*YBBN*.* to *YBBN*.*.off. Usually I do not do this for ORBX scenery, but I noticed default terminal buildings overlapping the new ones, and objects in the middle of the runway. Renaming the above files fixed this issue.

My display settings are as follows:

brisbane_weird_006.png.831030060d8ff9873921360f6d2f20f3.png

brisbane_weird_005.thumb.png.83a301e1fd508a35472f9d7a683fed2a.png

My system specs are as follows:

• Intel i9-9900K OC @ 4.7GHz
  • NVidia GeForce RTX 2080
  • 32GB RAM
  • Everything flight sim related is installed on a Samsung Pro Evo M.2 drive

My scenery library order is as follows (from top to bottom):

•         Scenery libraries (e.g. FlyTampa, 29Palms / other than ORBX)
  •         Airport sceneries
  •         Addon Scenery
  •         FTXAA_ORBXLIBS
  •         FTX_AA_xxx (ORBX Airports – several entries)
  •         FTX_EU_xxx (scenerie europejskie – several entries)
  •         … (FTX NA, FTX AU, etc.)
  •         ORBX!OPENLC_EUROPEx (openLC Europe – several entries)
  •         ORBX!OPENLC_NAMERICAx (openLC for Northern America – several entries)
  •         ORBX!OPENLC_BASE (openLC base)
  •         Edwards_AFB
  •         Berlin
  •         … (All named P3D sceneries)
  •         Asia
  •         Africa
  •         ORBX!VECTOR_OBJ
  •         ORBX!VECTOR_APT
  •         ORBX!VECTOR_CVX
  •         ORBX!VECTOR_EXX
  •         1107 Base
  •         … (All numbered P3D sceneries)
  •         0000 Base
  •         ORBX!VECTOR_AEC
  •         Default Scenery
  •         Default Terrain

Are these blurry/misaligned textures normal?

In November 2017, @Nick Cooper has suggested locking the frame rate to 30 or 24 FPS to allow the sim time to load the textures. However, I only get this problem at Brisbane. For example, I have ORBX Barcelona CityScene installed with JustSim Barcelona LEBL. This is a very demanding area just like CityScene Gold Coast, and the runway textures load very quickly and are sharp (granted they're from different developers). Below is a comparison of LEBL (L) and YBBN (R) with the frame rate locked to 24 FPS:

brisbane_weird_007.thumb.png.fee6acafe4d5b2e7c99152ed3e25f96c.png

My FPS goes down from 36 to 24, and the textures are still just as blurry as before.

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,

Louis

Hi Nick,

Thank you very much for your fast reply. I hadn't thought to change the ground surface options in the control panel, because the defaults are usually fine. While switching from FSX Ground Poly to the Photoreal Ground Textures option does replace the blurry runway with a sharper one, it doesn't really solve my problem:

brisbane_weird_008.thumb.png.8dc42bdff1fac3e2097cf9755f90f21c.pngbrisbane_weird_009.thumb.png.63c189b1fe1270b2265a566906015a46.pngbrisbane_weird_010.thumb.png.8016c090204f01f86675380e5eb2dcd1.pngbrisbane_weird_011.thumb.png.c971e3cb9e9c583f62bac614be508a82.png

It looks like the sharper runway is placed on top of the FSX ground poly textures, resulting in underisable blurred textures either side of the runway tarmac. Furthermore, the taxiways are still very blurry and they do not blend in at all with the runway. Finally, the entire apron area has now been repalced with the same blurry textures of the taxiways, when they were very sharp with the FSX Ground Poly option selected.

I do not believe that this is how the ORBX developers intend Brisbane to be enjoyed, so I'm switching back to the FSX Ground Poly setting for now.

The question still remains on my mind: Are the original runway/taxiway textures as intended by the developers, or is there an issue on my side? If the former, at least I know I'm in the same boat as everyone else, and I can hope for an update in the future.

Cheers,

Louis

Hello,

this airport differs from many others because of the use of photo scenery in its internal construction.

The best you can do is to try and make it look as sharp as you can, as Lawrence suggests.

It does not look as if there is anything wrong with your installation of it.

25 minutes ago, lawrence aldrich said:

I noticed you have not enabled high resolution terrain textures and have 15cm instead of 7cm textures enabled.

Have you tried enabling high res textures and 7cm ?

Hi Lawrence,

I tried 7cm texture and high res textures and this makes no difference to the blurriness but it does drop the frame rate significantly.

I found this YouTube video which shows a departure from YBBN. I took screenshots at select locations in the video (R) and compared the ground textures to my sim (L):

A.thumb.png.83b22d410ef2b36e470f5800c7f7fff8.pngB.thumb.png.84934e23dcf503d4f93a10bd31753fe6.pngC.thumb.png.40929757d46d05969a687b8aeb97187a.pngD.thumb.png.d2e8d97856c20a5b14f61564bf5ee168.pngE.thumb.png.79b1823e0925dbc051e0e94782536c89.png

It's beginning to look like not just a bluriness issue, but a problem with the way the textures are being placed. My textures are jagged and misaligned, whereas those from the video are much neater.

Cheers,

Louis

3 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

this airport differs from many others because of the use of photo scenery in its internal construction.

The best you can do is to try and make it look as sharp as you can, as Lawrence suggests.

It does not look as if there is anything wrong with your installation of it.

Hi Nick,

This may very well be the case, but as you can see from my comparison screenshots above, the textures in my sim seem just quite a lot worse than in the YouTube video, and my display settings are already set very high (even 7cm textures and high res textures makes no difference).

In your sim, are the yellow taxiway markings on the runway really misaligned like that? I don't see how this can be resolved by increasing the resolution any higher.

Cheers,

Louis

Hello,

I am seeing exactly the same as you do and in fact in the video, at 5.41 the misaligned yellow lines can be seen too.

Sorry I can't be of more help, it is an older product, using older technology than is used now.

That is not meant to be an excuse, just the reason.

13 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

I am seeing exactly the same as you do and in fact in the video, at 5.41 the misaligned yellow lines can be seen too.

Sorry I can't be of more help, it is an older product, using older technology than is used now.

That is not meant to be an excuse, just the reason.

Hi Nick,

That's fully understood. Thanks for your input and advice!

Cheers,

Louis

Archived