Orbx Central 4.0.4 and Linux

Hello,

(Just for customer validation  transaction id 5d4a6bf057bbd TE Washington,  5d53b4de62e9c Skagit)

Running X-plane 11.35 on Linux Mint 19.2  I am new to both X-Plane and Mint so please forgiven lack of diagnostics.

Followed the instructions to install Central using the Debian version. After installation I cannot run the AppImage from my home directory. Running the command ./orbx-central-4.0.4.AppImage from the terminal I get at various attempts hung blank terminal screen, a splash screen saying it can't find a simulator (XP11 is installed on second disk) or the following error messages:-

(orbx-central:15197): libappindicator-WARNING **: 08:17:40.190: Unable to get the session bus: Unknown or unsupported transport “disabled” for address “disabled:”

(orbx-central:15197): LIBDBUSMENU-GLIB-WARNING **: 08:17:40.190: Unable to get session bus: Unknown or unsupported transport “disabled” for address “disabled:”

Guessing that the original installation failed I have tried repeating the installation instructions with no better outcome.

For info I have installed TrueEarth Washington and the UK demo manually in XP11.35 and they work very well (Linux & X-Plane & Orbx combo has excellent performance).

Any guidance much appreciated.

Gordon

Had another go at re-installing - this time as root and in the X-Plane directory on the second disk. This time Central did start but the terminal had these error messages:-

2019-08-14 13:32:12 (5.89 MB/s) - ‘orbx-central-4.0.4.AppImage’ saved [120197464/120197464]

root@gordon-LinuxMint:/media/gordon/X-P Files/X-Plane 11# chmod +x orbx-central-4.0.4.AppImage
root@gordon-LinuxMint:/media/gordon/X-P Files/X-Plane 11# ./orbx-central-4.0.4.AppImage
Gtk-Message: 13:34:36.879: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.
Gtk-Message: 13:35:01.942: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.
Gtk-Message: 13:35:06.627: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.
Gtk-Message: 13:35:11.654: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.
Gtk-Message: 13:35:24.093: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.
Gtk-Message: 13:35:41.120: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.

(orbx-central:8219): libnotify-WARNING **: 13:38:06.832: Failed to connect to proxy

(orbx-central:8219): libnotify-WARNING **: 13:38:06.833: Failed to connect to proxy

(orbx-central:8219): libnotify-WARNING **: 13:38:06.834: Failed to connect to proxy

I was able to use Central to install Skagit KBVS

Gordon

Orbx Central has installed to the start menu but does not run. Starting from the terminal does work but with these messages:-

gordon@gordon-LinuxMint:~$ sudo ./orbx-central-4.0.4.AppImage
[sudo] password for gordon:       

(orbx-central:10597): libappindicator-WARNING **: 14:38:22.377: Unable to get the session bus: Unknown or unsupported transport “disabled” for address “disabled:”

(orbx-central:10597): LIBDBUSMENU-GLIB-WARNING **: 14:38:22.377: Unable to get session bus: Unknown or unsupported transport “disabled” for address “disabled:”

Strangely I now have two central App files:-  /media/gordon/X-P Files/X-Plane 11/orbx-central-4.0.4.AppImage and /home/gordon/orbx-central-4.0.4.AppImage It is the latter which is being used now but the former was installed last and got Central running.

Clearly I have some messed up files somewhere but as a newbie to Linux/X-Plane/Orbx Central and a 72year old Abacus user I am struggling.

Guidance please guys guidance :)

Gordon

• Nick Cooper changed the title to Orbx Central 4.0.4 and Linux
Guest Josh Koz

Hi Gordon,

Can you try removing both Orbx Central AppImages and re-downloading and installing it to see if the issue persists?

What desktop environment are you using with Linux Mint? The most popular is cinnamon which Orbx Central has been tested with and confirmed to work

Finally do you have any other software installed in Linux that uses the AppImage packaging format and any of these exhibit similar issues?

Hello Josh - many thanks for responding,

Confirmed I am using Cinnamon desktop on Linux Mint 19.2 (pretty standard installation - I am not competent to tinker)

I have uninstalled Central in both Home and on 2nd disk. I uninstalled X-Plane (deleted directory)

Renamed 2nd Disk from X-P Files to X-P_Files and remounted

Re-installed X-Plane

Installed Orbx Central 4.0.6.AppImage as per web site instructions using root authority and residing in the X-P_Files/'X-Plane 11' directory

when run it prompted to combine with system - I responded Yes

It did not make a start menu entry

Rebooted

Double clicking on orbx-central-4.0.6.AppImage icon residing in X-P_Files restarts the menu for system integration and made a Start menu entry eventually

The start menu entry fails (does nothing)

Running  in the terminal:-

./orbx-central-4.0.6.AppImage started Central splash screen with message "No Simulators Found" OR restarted the integration screen

Running in the terminal:-

gordon@gordon-LinuxMint:/media/gordon/X-P_Files$ sudo ./orbx-central-4.0.6.AppImage

WORKED ONCE with the following messages

(orbx-central:5151): libappindicator-WARNING **: 16:59:20.140: Unable to get the session bus: Unknown or unsupported transport “disabled” for address “disabled:”

(orbx-central:5151): LIBDBUSMENU-GLIB-WARNING **: 16:59:20.140: Unable to get session bus: Unknown or unsupported transport “disabled” for address “disabled:”

Re-running the above later resulted in a hung black screen label as Orbx Central

I suspect that AppImage doesn't like the install path to the X-Plane installation on a mounted second disk. My Primary disk is too small to install X-Plane et al on the Primary to prove this (sorry)

Kind regards

Gordon

After rebooting to get rid of the hung window the start menu entry has now disappeared but I can start Central with the terminal command

gordon@gordon-LinuxMint:/media/gordon/X-P_Files$ sudo ./orbx-central-4.0.6.AppImage

But again produces the following

(orbx-central:2485): libappindicator-WARNING **: 17:27:33.824: Unable to get the session bus: Unknown or unsupported transport “disabled” for address “disabled:”

(orbx-central:2485): LIBDBUSMENU-GLIB-WARNING **: 17:27:33.824: Unable to get session bus: Unknown or unsupported transport “disabled” for address “disabled:”

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Josh Koz

Hi Gordon,

There a few things to break down here which may be correlated. The first of which would be the libappindicator warnings. By default, Orbx Central will minimise to the tray on close. In many flavours of Linux, including Mint Cinnamon, the tray is handled by libappindicator. When Orbx Central does successfully launch via terminal, do you see an Icon in your system tray?  It's possible the Orbx Central hasn't completed exited and successive launches are trying to restore this process that still exists resulting in the black screen you're encountering.

With regards to the Start Menu entry not working, I suspect this is an incorrect command set in the .desktop file. Can you find the .desktop file that has been created and check if the Exec= path points to the AppImage? The desktop file should be located within either the /usr/share/applications or ~/.local/share/applications directories. The command on the Exec= line is what is executed when clicking the start menu entry. You can copy and paste this line into and run it in the terminal to ensure it's correct.

Let me know how you go.

Hello Josh, Apologies for the delay in reply... I got rugby tackled by the grandchildren...

Regarding your first paragraph;

When Central 4.0.10 is run from the terminal as  root and INSTALLED to the same (second) disk as X-Plane an icon IS present in the system tray and Central executes by finding X-Plane and operating normally. Error messages are reported as below:

Running directly on second disk

gordon@gordon-LinuxMint:~$ sudo ./orbx-central-4.0.10.AppImage
[sudo] password for gordon:       

(orbx-central:4451): libappindicator-WARNING **: 12:29:40.185: Unable to get the session bus: Unknown or unsupported transport “disabled” for address “disabled:”

(orbx-central:4451): LIBDBUSMENU-GLIB-WARNING **: 12:29:40.185: Unable to get session bus: Unknown or unsupported transport “disabled” for address “disabled:”

Running Central from start menu icon produces no discernable activity.

I did (however) get a black screen during the first attempt at running 4.0.10 as part of the initial install to the system disk, during that time the system tray icon WAS NOT visible.

This laypersons feeling is that Central on installation is not picking up the location of X-Plane on a secondary disk and therefore goes into various fault situations.

Regarding the second paragraph.

Using Catfish I found appimagekit-orbx-central.desktop in usr/local/share/applications listed as follows

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Orbx Central
Comment=Orbx’s all-in-one purchase and installation platform.
Exec="/home/gordon/orbx-central-4.0.10.AppImage" %U
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Icon=appimagekit-orbx-central
StartupWMClass=Orbx Central
X-AppImage-Version=4.0.10.1859
Categories=Utility;
X-AppImage-BuildId=1PllSISOQ4NKvOV01l26O0z7Uqm
X-Desktop-File-Install-Version=0.23
X-AppImage-Comment=Generated by /tmp/.mount_orbx-cTJ9ZZj/AppRun
TryExec=/home/gordon/orbx-central-4.0.10.AppImage

As suggested I cut and pasted the exec line into terminal - Central started and ended at the usual splash screen error message of Select Simulator we couldn't detect.....etc

I tried editing the exec line to point to central appimage on the second disk but got the same result i.e. it ran but failed to find X-Plane but it could be me not doing something right.

Again I feel that something in AppImage package is not searching for X-Plane correctly.

Kind regards and your continued interest

Gordon

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Josh Koz

Orbx Central tries to detect an X-Plane installation by looking first looking for the ~/.x-plane/x-plane_install_11.txt  file. When X-Plane starts for the first time on a PC it will create this file. The contents of the file is the path to the X-Plane installation.

$ cat ~/.x-plane/x-plane_install_11.txt 
/home/joshua/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/X-Plane 11/

If this file doesn't exist or the X-Plane binary doesn't exist at the path specified in the file Orbx Central won't be able to detect your X-Plane installation. You can manually create this file to work around this issue. We're adding some functionality into a upcoming update which will allow users to troubleshoot manually point Orbx Central at an X-Plane installation if it fails to find one.

Thanks for info - location of file on this computer is home/.x-plane/x-plane_install_11.txt and was not created by me.

The contents of the txt file is;

/media/gordon/X-P_Files/X-Plane 11/ which is the correct installed location

To get version 13 to run I had to give in and permanently mount the disk (didn't want to do this as the drive will be relocated down the line hence mounting in media). It now is accessible by running the command ./orbx-central-4.0.13.AppImage in terminal but does not run from menu or double clicking - weird

AppImage was set as root I changed this to the normal user permission.

Looking forward to the update -

Thanks & regards

Gordon Hurn

Guest Josh Koz

Hi Gordan,

I don't think the disk would need to be permanently mounted, but will need to be mounted at the time Orbx Central is started so it can access that path to find the X-Plane installation. If you happen to change disks or mount to another location, the path inside the ~/.x-plane/x-plane_install_11.txt file will be automatically updated upon starting X-Plane. Orbx Central will read this file upon every launch to find the X-Plane install.

Hello Josh - just for info

I have set 2nd disk to automatically mount on startup.

I have  /home/gordon/.x-plane/x-plane_install_11.txt and the content is;

/media/gordon/X-P_Files/X-Plane 11/ which is correct.

Double clicking home/orbx-central-4.0.13.AppImage does not appear to run the app.

Kind regards

Gordon

Guest Josh Koz

Hi Gordon,

Not sure what the cause is of the AppImage not launching when double clicked. I've created a task internally to try track down the cause of this issue.

Resolved

My system disk was running out of space requiring a troll through the file system for things to delete. I found an Orbx folder in an unexpected location (in .cache... I think but not sure as I only found the result some time later) deleting the folder seems to have cleared the log jam and I can now run Central from the menu and by double clicking the AppImage which is located on the same secondary disk as X-Plane.

Many thanks for your patience with me and your guidance which did help in finally tracking the issue of my faulty install/removal which I guess left shrapnel behind.

Kind regards

Gordon

Archived