One More Test to keep ORBX Central

Dane

OK I have had issues since migrating to ORBX Central but I want to give it another chance as I do like the concept, it's just the change over has not been smooth.

I made a mistake by migrating my ORBX FTX Central3 files/folders from my SSD over to a larger HDD. I didn't realize at the time the HDD would dramatically slow down the loading time.

So I would like to now try (if possible) to migrate all of my ORBX Central files/folders over to new libraries setup in my SSD - I created a Library for ORBX Global, ORBX North America, etc., etc.

I would like some advice before I blindly go off and attempt this.

What do I need to do to make this happen?

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer,

Dane

Hi Dane

I don't think the library function was meant to separate your Orbx scenery into regional groups and I would strongly advise against doing this....it is designed to put all the scenery in one location (folder) per simulator.

I would delete what you have already done and start over by selecting one folder for all your P3Dv4 items and a different folder for XPlane. They can be on the same drive or separate drives. 

4 minutes ago, Doug Sawatzky said:

Hi Dane

I don't think the library function was meant to separate your Orbx scenery into regional groups and I would strongly advise against doing this....it is designed to put all the scenery in one location (folder) per simulator.

I would delete what you have already done and start over by selecting one folder for all your P3Dv4 items and a different folder for XPlane. They can be on the same drive or separate drives. 

Thank you Doug I will do that.

Once I do that, how do I then change and move over the existing Main Library from my HDD to a new Main Library on my SSD?

Dane

Just now, Dane said:

Once I do that, how do I then change and move over the existing Main Library from my HDD to a new Main Library on my SSD?

You don't, you start fresh and do it all over again, and delete the contents of the HDD. The user guide is also a good thing to reference.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QqebVX8fUFdFtOOEMR1ZULkhhieenQHNopfNY-5_K0Y/edit

2 hours ago, Doug Sawatzky said:

You don't, you start fresh and do it all over again, and delete the contents of the HDD. The user guide is also a good thing to reference.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QqebVX8fUFdFtOOEMR1ZULkhhieenQHNopfNY-5_K0Y/edit

Again thanks Doug,

I deviated a bit from your instructions as I actually read the user manual and found that on Page 19 I found this...

Moving a library to another location

Moving a library is painless with Central and can be achieved in a few steps only:

1. Go to Settings > Libraries.

2. Note the directory of the library you’d like to move.

3. Remove the library that you would like to move (remember: this doesn’t delete the actual files).

4. Close Central by right-clicking on the tray and selecting “quit”.

5. Move the directory to the new location in your operating system. This step may take a while depending on your disk speed.

6. Start Central again

7. Open Settings, and then the Libraries page

8. Press ‘Create New Library’

9. Select the new library location, give it a name and then press ‘Save’.

Central will automatically scan the library for installed products, and then configure your simulators appropriately.

But what I did was after Step 9 I went back to ORBX Central and did a VERIFY on each and every file that I own and had been previously installed.

It all worked very well and has been tested on a few airports.

Maybe a Step 10 should be added - Very each file previously downloaded.

Thank you again,

Dane

12 hours ago, Cyclone1 said:

Dane did it all work out for you sir? I am on my soon to be 2nd download attempt for Central the first had some minor issues.

Yes it did work out and I have made a number of different area test flights and seem to be good

Dane

That is good news Dane I know you were having some issues as most of us are too. I am waiting for this work week to see what the Developers have come up with before I install as I think this program will have more changes coming in the next few days and weeks. Thanks for the feedback Sir.

On 8/10/2019 at 3:51 PM, Dane said:

So I would like to now try (if possible) to migrate all of my ORBX Central files/folders over to new libraries setup in my SSD - I created a Library for ORBX Global, ORBX North America, etc., etc.

My apologies Dane...So apparently it is no problem to create many different libraries on different drives for one sim, should still all work fine so I am told.

1 hour ago, Doug Sawatzky said:

My apologies Dane...So apparently it is no problem to create many different libraries on different drives for one sim, should still all work fine so I am told.

No worries Doug and thanks for getting back to me.

I am happy with the one folder it seems to be OK and all is working good.

However i do have one lingering question regarding the Insertion Point for Global Open LC - where is the recommended INSERT BELOW point?

Dane

23 minutes ago, Mitchell Williamson said:

The default should work fine, which is below Orbx Products and Regions.

image.png

Thanks for your reply.

I will place Global openLC where you suggest. But I did find that Airports and Regions at Top of Scenery Library is an issue for my 3rd party add-on scenery, it seems to work better for me if I place Airports and Regions below my last 3rd party add-on scenery.

I also notice that FTX_AA_3W5 seems to automatically insist on being above my 3rd party add-on scenery and not with my other FTX_AA_xxx sceneries - strange?

Dane

Airports and Regions.JPG

Global openLC.JPG

FTX_AA_3W5.JPG

11 minutes ago, Mitchell Williamson said:

Hi Dane,

That is strange indeed, it is likely a configuration error within 3W5 on our end. I've noted it to be fixed.

Thanks...

Dane

• 2 weeks later...

Archived