HELP! Loss of access to many airports!

I can’t believe this!  All of a sudden, as of Tuesday, August 6, I can’t access airports or airspace in the western US, including Alaska and Hawaii.  Can’t seem to load anything west of Denver. 

Before that, everything was as close to perfect as I have experienced in 30 years of Flight Simming.  After my PC crashed one year ago, I replaced my entire rig, was forced into Win 10, upgraded from FSX to P3D and reinstalled Rex SkyForce 3D and most Orbx scenery.  As I say, all was humming along perfectly.      

Last Tuesday night, we had a power outage while P3D was open.  I rebooted and resumed a saved flight with nothing amiss (although I did not fly in areas that now seem inaccessible).  Later, I paused P3D, minimized it and put my PC in sleep mode (as I usually do).  On Wednesday morning, P3D had closed itself.  I did not think much of this, as it could be explained by something like a Windows update.  But since then, I have been unable to access airspace in western US.  I have no problems (that I’ve discovered, anyway) in Europe, South America or Australia.

When I say I can’t access, I mean:  loading an airport: CTD!  Loading a scenario: CTD!  Loading a playback: CTD!  I even tried flying from KDEN to KLAS, but when I slewed westward -- CTD!  The only other datum I have is that when I try to go to Alaska, the sim hangs while loading, at 4 or 6%.  Other airports load to 100%, but then the screen opens black and it crashes to desktop. 

Intuition suggests this is a scenery problem, but I am at a loss.  Is there any way to ascertain whether any of the Orbx scenery files are corrupted?  And, if they are, what can I do?

My specs are below, although I don’t think this new problem has much to do with PC power.

Thanks all,

Mac 6737

Core i7-8700K, 3.7 GHz

GeForce GTX 1070 Ti

AORUS Z370 5LGA motherboard

16 GB  2 x 8GB  DDR4-2400

Monitor: MSI 27” LED gaming

43 minutes ago, Mac6737 said:

Intuition suggests this is a scenery problem, but I am at a loss.

Hello,

my first thought would be to run a chdsk, a power outage and sudden closure could result in bad sectors on you hard drive.

If that proves no damage done then run a verify files in FTX Central on your scenery.

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 2:15 PM, Smudger said:

Hello,

my first thought would be to run a chdsk, a power outage and sudden closure could result in bad sectors on you hard drive.

If that proves no damage done then run a verify files in FTX Central on your scenery.

Smudger,

Thank you.  I spent an afternoon trying to "run a chkdsk," but found I cannot access the necessary "elevated command prompt."  That would likely require a day or so trying to get tech support from Windows.  I did, however, blunder into something in Windows that said a disk check was unnecessary, but invited me to run a  scan anyway, which I did: no errors, it said.

I also verified all my Orbx files.  After some downloading and updating, FTX Central says they are all "installed and up to date."  But that did not help; the problem persists.

Since my original post last week, I have done numerous experiments.  Conclusions so far:  The inaccessible airports and airspace are unrelated to whether they are covered by Orbx landclass or regions.  Australia is fine, New Zealand and Samoa no.  Denver and Jackson Hole are fine, Las Vegas and everything west (including all of Alaska and Hawaii), no.  Japan OK.  So far, all the inaccessible places SEEM to be contiguous, a vast area starting at the US Pacific Time Zone and extending across the Pacific to somewhere between Australia and NZ.  That suggests there is something amiss with the underlying P3D scenery files that Orbx overlays.  Yes?

One more thing: When I try to load an airport, it does seem to "load," in that the engine sound plays and there's red lettering at the top of the back screen showing the zoom ratio, etc., as is normal.  But then the hourglass comes on, and it CTDs.

So I don't think this is an Orbx problem.  Too bad.  I need to try once again to get some help from the P3D forums. 

Thanks again,

Mac6737

1 hour ago, Mac6737 said:

but found I cannot access the necessary "elevated command prompt.

Hello Mac,

To do this, open up command prompt (click Windows key + X then select Command Prompt - Admin).

In the command prompt window, type in CHKDSK then a space, then the name of the disk you wish to check. For example, if you wished to perform a disk check on your E drive, type in CHKDSK E then press enter to run the command. ( the drive that P3D is located on )

You could also run a repair on P3D itself via the Control Panel - Version - Uninstall - Change- Repair, or run the P3D Client to quickly check P3D .

6 hours ago, Smudger said:

You could also run a repair on P3D itself via the Control Panel - Version - Uninstall - Change- Repair, or run the P3D Client to quickly check P3D .

Smudger,

Do you mean the Windows 10 Control Panel?  (Other posts indicate to me there is also a P3D Control Panel, but I have yet to find it.)  And, if Win 10, are you saying that if I click "UNINSTALL" -- which sounds drastic, and perhaps lethal -- I will have further options?

What does "run the P3D client" mean?  What is it?  Where is it?  As I said in a post in the FlightSim forum, I was a liberal arts major, and am a retired international lawyer.  Plus, I am relatively new to P3d - 6 mos. yesterday.  You and others here give me too much credit.

Mac6737

Hello,

no, there is no P3D control panel which you can use to repair damage.

Yes, the Windows Control panel will allow you to repair any damage to the core P3D files.

here are three very good topics on P3D v4.

It could of course be nothing to do with the power cut at all.

One possible cause of a failure that is regional rather than global could be AI aircraft

which only display in certain parts of the world.

Fs9 aircraft models will crash P3D v4 routinely and without fail.

Fs9 ship models will do exactly the same and may be regional too.

No idea whether you have added such things but it's worth keeping an open mind.

Archived