Multiple X-Plane installations

wilson

I have read through the Orbx Central manual and have done a search here, but must have missed something along the way.  Sorry if this has already been answered.  Just direct me to the topic.

I have two copies of X-Plane on my computer.  Each is on a different drive.  How do I tell Orbx Central where I want to install scenery?  I could not find any way to do that in "Settings".  I am fine with not having Orbx scenery in bothinstallations, if that's a problem, but I DO want to determine which installation it will be installed in.

Thanks in advance for any help.

When I installed Orbx Central and launched it for the first time it found my multiple installations, listed them and asked which to use.  I am not at my sim right now, but from memory, if you are on windows, it gets the list from <windows disk>/users/<your user acct name>/app data/local/x-plane_install_11.txt , which opens with a text editor.  Make sure the installation paths are listed there.

Edit: corrected the file name

Thanks for the suggestion. 

I have an "x-plane_install_11.txt" file there.  When I opened it, it shows both drives.  Does that mean that Orbx Central looks at that file and installs scenery in both locations?

If I remember, the old version of Orbx Central asked you where you wanted to install.  In updating Libraries today with the new version, I was not given an option.  That is why I ask the question of how to identify where Orbx will be installing new purchases.

x-plane.thumb.jpg.e29b2e5c12274ca7f39ac38e9e2be170.jpg

No. It only installs in one.  It could be that Orbx Central has already "memorized" a path to one of the installations and will not ask again; in that case use a text editor to open

<windows disk>/users/<your user acct name>/app data/Roaming/Orbx/Central/central.json

and look at "sceneryConfigPath," "rootPath" and further down "path," they will show which of the 2 it is using.  If it is the one you want, just go ahead and proceed with the installation.  If not, and you feel bold, edit those lines. 

EDIT "path" should be the path to the library, not XP

Now that I have re-read (carefully this time) your last post and see that you just updated Orbx Central, I am pretty sure that the new version would install in the same XP as the old one via symlinks from the library.  You can confirm by looking at the central.json file.

Thanks for the help, Maurice.  sceneryconfigPath was set to path that I wanted, given only one choice.   That resolves my problem.

I am surprised that this latest version of Orbx Central has left out the option to chose a path in the Settings Menu.

Wilson

16 minutes ago, wilson said:

Is that okay

That is the default path, which I was asked to accept or change when I first installed and launched Orbx Central.  The thing you have to understand is that the library will contain all the files, which takes a lot of space; the XP installation will only have links back to the library, which take little space.  So, in transitioning to the new library and accepting the default path for it, you are actually increasing space usage on C and decreasing it on I (assuming that is where the XP with Orbx is); if that is OK, just leave it as it is.  If not, you can change the location of the library to I to maintain the current space usage.  No need to edit the central.json though, you can modify the location of the library through settings I believe. It is described in the manual.

Thanks again, Maurice.  I want it on the I: drive, so I will change that.  That is a 4 TB drive that I installed in anticipation of more U.S. TrueEarth locations, although I now understand that they are sticking with only the west coast, for some reason.

I appreciate your help.

2 hours ago, wilson said:

Thanks again, Maurice.  I want it on the I: drive, so I will change that.  That is a 4 TB drive that I installed in anticipation of more U.S. TrueEarth locations, although I now understand that they are sticking with only the west coast, for some reason.

I appreciate your help.

With Orbx central it shows you your installed sims like XP and P3D. The little arrow will when clicked on will show you all the sims. See my pic which shows 2 XPs and P3D. Moving the cursor over any of the other sim names(not the one in the main box) will show which drive that copy is on. You then click on the drive you want Orbx to open and then see if, or choose that drive to install on. I hope I have interpreted your original question correctly:)

C.thumb.JPG.46a68af5554c69beacba2177d4cd4be9.JPG

Hello wilson,

Perhaps there is some confusion with the drop down menu.

The top black and white X-Plane 11 menu item in Jon's image is one version, the grey and white Item is the second version.

If I have also not misunderstood, to add to Jon's image and clear explanation, once you have selected your X Plane 11 version and created its own library,

when you install a product you can choose where you want it to be and it will be installed into your chosen library

and a link added to the Custom Scenery folder of that X Plane 11 version ONLY.

Orbx Central can therefore maintain two or more completely separate installations of X Plane 11, with or without Orbx products in

either one.

If it is desired to have only one library of Orbx products, then all of them can be installed to the one library and in only one X plane 11 installation

and shortcuts created manually to the second, third or more copy of X Plane 11's Custom Scenery folder.

1.jpg

• 10 months later...

Archived