Option to NOT choose a simulator folder and NOT create symbolic links from library

Operating system:  win 10

Simulator:  XP11

Screenshot:  

Issue:  I have several XP11 installations and want to manage my own symbolic links from the library as different products need to be linked to different XP folders.

OrbxCentral should have an option not to choose a simulator folder and not create symbolic links, otherwise having Orbx products in a library is not an improvement over FTX Central for me: I still need a minimal dummy XP installation for OrbxCentral to drop symbolic links (which I can delete or ignore) with an ini file that it can write to without any consequence.  (With FTX Central, the dummy XP11 installation served as my library.)

central.log

Guest Josh Koz

Hi Maurice,

As your use case is unique we haven't included this functionality on release. However we are looking at supporting this functionality in the future.

Guess "supporting this funtionality in the future" is under consideration for all platforms ?

I am on P3D v4.5 and wish to remain having all collected in the root as it was in FTX Central, don't wish to have anything in Libraries outside what ORBX insists on.

My SSD is large enough and I am making daily Images.

Let consumers have the option in hands how they want to organise their sim is my wish.

Rgds,

Hans.

7 hours ago, Josh Koz said:

Hi Maurice,

As your use case is unique we haven't included this functionality on release. However we are looking at supporting this functionality in the future.

Thanks.  I don’t think my case is so unique; I am looking forward to a future release with this option.

Hello,

I would think that

several XP11 installations

is indeed fairly unusual.

I can see no reason why you could not use the Orbx Central library and then create your own links to the many other X Plane 11 installations as you require.

Orbx Central can only see one at a time and it doesn't even need to be a working copy.

In this way, there would be no need to change Orbx Central and your bespoke installation would be available to you as before.

38 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Orbx Central can only see one at a time

That is the problem: it then symlinks to that one everything from the library and writes to its ini, which Is why I still need to keep a dummy one (where I let it symlink to its heart’s content and write whatever it wants to an ini file that is never used)  and, indeed, I selectively make my own symlinks from the library to the various XP folders (the point is that not everything from the library goes to each and every XP folder - in fact the only thing that goes to all XPs is the orbx library).

What I ask for would remove the need for a dummy XP, which I thought was one of the “improvements” of Orbx Central over FTX Central. 

51 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

indeed fairly unusual

I beg to differ:  XP is in constant evolution, with long periods when both stable and beta versions are available; most veteran XP users have both installed. This is arguably not my use case, but it is still evidence that multiple XP installations are common.

Are you then asking for Orbx Central to just install the files to a location and then do nothing?

Would this not leave all the other X Plane 11 users with no installed scenery?

Or do you mean an option to install and then do nothing, in which case, you can create your own

option by deleting the links.

I am struggling a little to see why someone who is prepared to spend time maintaining multiple copies

of X Plane 11 would need an automatic function to perform such a small task.

Or maybe I still have not grasped your point.

No, I am only asking for an OPTION to not have to select an XP folder (in which case , indeed,  it would only install the files in the library and do nothing else).

I am struggling to understand, after one of the orbx developers clearly understood my request and wrote that it would be considered in the future, why you would find it so outrageous that you seem to argue against it.  Deleting symlinks and checking ini files after each and every update might be a small task, but it is a significant irritant.

I am not arguing against anything, nor is the problem significant enough to justify the term outrageous.

I am just trying to explore possibilities that might ease the path for you until the developer is able to act

on his statement that he may be " looking at supporting this functionality in the future."

As you appear not to be finding this at all helpful, I will stop wasting my time and yours.

Thank you for trying to help, but if you read my first post, you will see that I solve the problem by using a dummy XP (as I did with FTX Central) and require no further help at the moment, hoping for the added functionality in the future.

You might think you are not arguing against it, but minimizing the issue could be read by the developer as “it really is not needed and postponed sine die.”

I just realized something that might have made my request harder to understand for you.  If you only have 1 XP folder, Orbx Central on start just silently find it and goes about its business (what you see I assume); if you have more than one, it shows a list of them and asks you to choose where to drop the symlinks (what I see); this is where I would I would like a box to check to “only create the files in the library and do not symlink.”

My workaround has been to create a dummy XP and choose it from the list “instead” of the option above.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/9/2019 at 1:33 AM, mauricecohen said:

OrbxCentral should have an option not to choose a simulator folder and not create symbolic links, otherwise having Orbx products in a library is not an improvement over FTX Central for me

Hi Maurice,

Orbx Central v4.0.6 or above supports installing directly into the simulator:

mnwR_5HZBKzQ4uO22mJyHF48Tr74KqduaF2PeAqb

Archived