LOWI Orthos file location

@Tony WroblewskiWhy is the main LOWI Ortho folder placed by Central under Global airports when the rest of the LOWI files are above, as is correct. Is not LOWI an all inclusive addon? By that I mean there are many airport addons for XP that include ortho that remain above Global airports in the scenry_packs.ini. I can only guess that because the Ortho coverage is so large it may include areas that have default (global) airports included in that area and therefore the Ortho needs to be below Global airports otherwise the Ortho would mask them. Is that a correct assumption. I would  have thought that files AABC&D could be together as a package.

42 minutes ago, Tony Wroblewski said:

Your assumption is correct. The ortho layer should be below Global Airports, the airport above it. I'll let the devs know about this.

Thanks Tony but a bit confused by your response. If my assumption regarding the layering of the LOWI files is correct, and you confirm that the Ortho file for LOWI should be and is below Global, and that the other files are correctly placed above global airports, then what is it that you are going to report to the devs? It would appear that Central has correctly layered the files doesn't it, so nothing to report to the devs?

24 minutes ago, jjaycee1 said:

It would appear that Central has correctly layered the files doesn't it, so nothing to report to the devs?

Certainly wasn't the case in my example (as per my other post here). All the LOWI stuff was up at the top of the ini file.

10 minutes ago, Tony Wroblewski said:

Ah sorry, I misread "below" as "above" (I need a coffee I think).. 

The ortho package and overlay packages should be below global_airports, whereas the airport itself should be above. So it's correct in this case

Tony, just so that I am clear on this, are you saying that it should look like this -

. . ./Orbx_A_LOWI_Innsbruck/

. . ./Orbx_A_LOWI_LOJT/

(other stuff)

. . ./Global Airports/

(other stuff)

. . ./Orbx_B_LOWI_Overlay/

. . ./Orbx_C_LOWI_DrapedOrthos/

. . ./Orbx_D_LOWI_Orthos/

which would presumably suggest putting the latter three entries down with the TrueEarth stuff?

It really begins to feel like Orbx needs to finalise and stick to a more consistent naming convention for its folders? Or maybe I'm reading it wrong? I have so far been keeping all airport related folders together (so for example KVUO A/B/C all together and all above LOWI A/B/C/D) both for aesthetic reasons and because that's how they get installed initially, but maybe I need to re-sort the ini entries so that all the As are before the Bs then the Cs etc. I guess that is what would happen anyway if I deleted the ini file and let it rebuild itself.

BUT, and it seems significant to me, in the later case (auto rebuild) I would still end up with an out of sequence file because the /Global Airports/ would be above ALL the ORBX entries. So even ignoring any other stuff we might have the naming convention can't ever end up with the correct configuration.

And I thought I had a reasonable grasp on this stuff by now - gawd knows how anyone coming fresh to this would deal with it.

(Oh, and do you know if the LOWI Demo area needs to be disabled now? I asked this elsewhere but didn't get a reponse as yet)

27 minutes ago, Tony Wroblewski said:

Ah sorry, I misread "below" as "above" (I need a coffee I think).. 

The ortho package and overlay packages should be below global_airports, whereas the airport itself should be above. So it's correct in this case

27 minutes ago, andy1252 said:

Certainly wasn't the case in my example (as per my other post here). All the LOWI stuff was up at the top of the ini file.

Ok Tony, have a large Vodka and a nap mate!

So in conclusion (hopefully)LOWI Innsbruck, LOWI_LOJT should be ABOVE Global Airports.

What about and what is LOWI Draped Orthos and should that be below Global Airports with LOWI Overlay and LOWI Orthos.

As Andy has just posted, the layering bt Central in XP is not consistent and in many cases not accurate.

So, again as Andy says should it be:

1.Orbx_A_LOWI_Innsbruck

2. Orbx_A_LOWI_LOJT

3. Global Airports

4.Orbx_B_LOWI_Overlay/

5.Orbx_C_LOWI_DrapedOrthos/

6.Orbx_D_LOWI_Orthos/

If the above is correct then Central is certainly not installing it in that sequence. Luckily I am very conversant in how the .ini should be layered, but agree with Andy that for newcomers to XP and especially newcomers to Orbx with XP will find it baffling and then proceed to need support forum assistance from Orbx.

So yes Tony, there does appear to be something to tell the devs:lol:

• 3 months later...
20 hours ago, D.B. said:

It´s a pitty this thread didn´t continue? Was it the correct order now? I´m very confused with the A B C D stuff and especially when the TE stuff adds to that.

1.Orbx_A_LOWI_Innsbruck

2. Orbx_A_LOWI_LOJT

3. Global Airports

4.Orbx_B_LOWI_Overlay/

5.Orbx_C_LOWI_DrapedOrthos/

6.Orbx_D_LOWI_Orthos/

You can put the 3 files that are under Global Airports under your True Earth addons

Archived