TE WA - Mesh weirdness around KSEA

andy1252

Sorry if this has been covered already - I did a search but couldn't see anything that seemed specific to this. Got a weird patch just up from KSEA. I am using DD's Seattle Airports but have only their actual airport folder in use (none of their mesh/terrain), I also have the KSEA demo area active. Order is DD (top), KSEA Demo (below that), TE WA (A/B/C) below both of those, where FTXC placed them.

K40xKOU.jpg

Not a major problem (quick enough to pass overhead) just curious if it's something obvious (to someone else, if not me, apparently <grin>)

1 hour ago, Tony Wroblewski said:

It looks like it's the flattening on the default KSEA airport.. Try disabling the KSEA Demo area and see if it solves your problem

Hi Tony, tried that but didn't make any difference -

4RmWXSY.jpg

Who said the drugs don't work! "This is your Captain speaking, we are now flying over the Twilight Zone, please fasten your jackets and stow your tinfoil helmets"

9 hours ago, andy1252 said:

Hi Tony, tried that but didn't make any difference -

4RmWXSY.jpg

Who said the drugs don't work! "This is your Captain speaking, we are now flying over the Twilight Zone, please fasten your jackets and stow your tinfoil helmets"

Hi Andy -

The DD Seattle airports (at least several of them including KRNT and KBFI) have “1302 flatten 1” entries in their apt.dat files that flatten the airport but created really ugly mesh issues, possibly the issue you’re seeing.

If you’re comfortable using a text editor like Notepad to open the files and just remove those entries (create backup files first), it may help BUT you’ll encounter issues with sinking planes, floating builsings, etc.  But I thought it a good tradeoff.

I can hopefully paste an example later but our area is experiencing severe thunderstorms and I’m keeping my PC unplugged for now.

Feel free to PM me if needed too.

Steve

14 hours ago, Steve Colbert said:

The DD Seattle airports (at least several of them including KRNT and KBFI) have “1302 flatten 1” entries in their apt.dat files that flatten the airport but created really ugly mesh issues, possibly the issue you’re seeing.

Hi Steve, and thanks for this. After a bit of experimentation I've removed the flatten statements for KBFI and KRNT but left them in for the other airports that have them. KPAE didn't look like it had any obvious anomalies anyway, and removing the flatten from that definitely affected the airport itself and that's one I like to explore at ground level. KRNT doesn't seem to suffer any major floating or sinking and I've not tried a ground level exploration of KBFI yet anyway, but both KBFI and KRNT were causing some major weirdness in the surrounding areas, as you said. All good now though.

Plus I learnt something about apt.dat files, so thanks again for this.

38 minutes ago, andy1252 said:

Hi Steve, and thanks for this. After a bit of experimentation I've removed the flatten statements for KBFI and KRNT but left them in for the other airports that have them. KPAE didn't look like it had any obvious anomalies anyway, and removing the flatten from that definitely affected the airport itself and that's one I like to explore at ground level. KRNT doesn't seem to suffer any major floating or sinking and I've not tried a ground level exploration of KBFI yet anyway, but both KBFI and KRNT were causing some major weirdness in the surrounding areas, as you said. All good now though.

Glad to hear it and you're welcome Andy!

I'll need to try putting the flatten entry back in my KPAE and see what it looks like, I think I took it out prior to TE WA.

Steve

17 hours ago, andy1252 said:

Hi Andy. Just to let you know I made a Tips & Tricks post about flattening airports or unflattening. I assume you are now well versed in this process but thought you might like to see a slightly "expanded" version of what can be done, including default airports.

Archived