Straw poll - where did you find out about FTX?

John Venema

Where did you hear/read/know about FTX?  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Where did you hear/read/know about FTX?

• VOZ Forums
    • Word of mouth / friend
    • Flight Sim World (FSW)
    • AVSIM
    • Flightsim.com
    • The Flight Sim Store
    • SimTube
    • Computer Pilot Magazine
    • AVIATOR Magazine
    • Australian Flying Magazine
    • Other website (please post which one)
    • Other magazine (please post which one)

Orbx is doing its media planning for the next few quarters and we'd love to get some idea where you heard about FTX. Just select the source above which best reflects where you first head about FTX and got interested enough to visit the Orbx or FTX website or do a Google search etc.

Your feedback will greatly assist us in spending our money wisely and making sure we get the message out to the right channels.

If you have other ideas about where we should be advertising or promoting, please don't hesitate in offering your opinion. We welcome all suggestions, and thanks in advance for your feedback.

Have you thought about a presence at flight related events (Red Bull, Avalon etc), now that FTX Blue is bringing in the money? Most of the people who attend those events are wannabe pilots. So have a stand, with a big screen and "hands-on" time for passers by, showing the FTX treatment of the area near the relevant airshow, along with a smaller set up for those potential customers that need the scope of FTX to be illustrated. You'd have FTX walking out the door especially with the price point you're at. Even if they don't buy on site, a certain percentage of attendees would follow up with visits to the website, and purchase based partly on the goodwill generated from the stand. Admittedly, your target market is limited by FSX ownership, but depending on the event, that could be a reasonable percentage of attendees.

Part of the success of the Trainz franchise, which basically killed off Microsoft's own Train Simulator, was Auran's (the late software house) presence at model train shows, where it wasn't unusual for them to sell out of stock before the end of the event. One term that springs to mind about this approach is "preaching to the converted", another is "shooting fish in a barrel", the potential customer has already shown their interest in flight related matters by attending the event.

Part of the success of the Trainz franchise, which basically killed off Microsoft's own Train Simulator, was Auran's (the late software house) presence at model train shows, where it wasn't unusual for them to sell out of stock before the end of the event.

I guess the Orbx guys would have to create some boxed sets (or vouchers) then and partner with the AusFlightSimStore to sell them if the current arrangements are any indication.  Auran had boxed only media and not downloads ever IIRC.

Cheers,

Followed the creation of the project from Voz Forums circa VOZ 1.1, through the release of FSX and the information on VOZ 2.0 through the creation of OrbX and eventually the FTX website.  Got lots of information on the way from various Australian Flight sim websites as well as the VOZ Forums.  It has been a long but very worthwhile adventure in anticipation :)  Brilliant stuff now!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Voz forums, about 1 year ago or more, whenever you started talking about it in public.

Competitions seem like a good way to increase exposure.  If such competitions are considered news worthy then I guess you will see them  listed on sites like AVSIM, FlightSim, SimFlight etc, and as such are "free" advertising.

However, the problem with a screenshot competition is that the user must already own a copy of FTX to enter.

How about adding a "raffle", whereby anyone can enter, and say 3 winners are selected upon release of AU Gold.  The advantage of a "raffle" is that a person can enter without having to go to the trouble of taking a screenshot. 

You might attract a lot of traffic to your site because it is so easy to enter the "raffle".  Additionally by collecting the users email address upon entry to the raffle, you will be able to send the user targeted email at a future date.

• 4 weeks later...

Mine was with flight sim sights and then Vista Australis! What a magic sight. Never thought I would ever achieve screen shots like those posted at Vista Australis and now mine are better.......hahaha, not joking, though, they are!

Frank

P.S. And also at the expo at the Gold Coast last year, most exciting site there!!!

Hello There,

I saw the notice of free airports on AVSIM, came and looked, and got caught in the net!  I wish I had a more sophisticated tale to tell that would accentuate my outstanding wisdom and intelligence, but I don't.

Spirit Flyer

So, how do we place our stats, or vote or whatever, on the chart at the top of this thread? I looked for some kind of a button to push, but alas, no joy!

Archived