Iceland – I am totally confused!

I have reviewed the various message strings on the forums but I am still having difficulty getting Iceland scenery to work properly. 

I want to eventually import a freeware KeflavikAirport but before I try this, I need to get the ORBx entries working properly before I try any addons.  If need be, I would be satisfied with the ORBx BIKF and BIRK if I can get them to work properly with the demo features, as discussed below.

Case 1 Demo and OLC_eur and Vector.

BIRK - building details in Reykjavik show okay, eg cathedral, as does airport

VectorCfg BIKF enabled - BIKF okay but jet ways in air and displaced horizontally, Elevation 141.8

VectorCfg BIKF disabled - BIKF okay but jet ways in air and displaced horizontally, Elevation 141.8, ie no change

Case 2 OLC_eur and Vector

BIRK only shows runways surrounded with autogen, and none of the detailed buildings in Reykjavik.

VectorCfg BIKF enabled - BIKF okay but jet ways in air, in correct location, Elevation 141.9

VectorCfg BIKF disabled - BIKF okay, jet ways on ground, in correct location, Elevation 182.8

Note: elevations are cockpit elevations

Comments:

The real elevation at BIKF is 171 and the P3D default is 171, so it looks like the elevations in the two ORBx sceneries are the anomalies.

The wheels of the suspended jet ways are at about elevation 171

So where do I go now? 

Any chance of ORBx issuing some kind of patch or update that makes the OLC_eur BIKF compatible with the demo, more importantly at the same elevation, and retain the correct BIRK and the detailed buildings in Reykjavik?

Nigel

Vancouver

Hello,

the report of displaced jetways seems to suggest the presence of GSX 2?

I don't follow your cases I and 2.

The Iceland demo is entirely contained within Open LC 8 and 9, whether only

the Iceland demo is installed or whether the customer has installed Open LC Europe,

which includes the entire Iceland demo or even if for some reason, the customer has

decided to install the Iceland demo over the existing Iceland demo in Open LC Europe

or Open LC Europe over an existing installation of the Iceland demo.

Hi Nick

I am still confused.  And it is a confusing scenario.

Your quote “The Iceland demo is entirely contained within Open LC 8 and 9……………….”

Unless I am missing something somewhere, I think my Case 2 is suggesting otherwise. In Case 2 with no demo installed, neither ReykjavikAirport nor Reykjavik Cityscape are showing, whereas they show in Case 1 with the demo installed. So it looks as though all the demo components are not included.

I checked into GSX2 (I have the trial version), changed it to show default jet ways and for Case 1 all jet ways moved to the apron and airfield ground level of 141.8. But in Case 2 with VectorCfg BIKF disabled, the jet ways moved to the apron and runway level at an elevation of 146.9 but the grass airfield elevation was now at 182.8 (I think its real level.

I am a retired engineer, trained in problem solving but I have found this one particularly difficult, more particularly so with trying to articulate it.  I have spent quite a few hours trying to identify the issues.

The cruxes I think are the demo features are not fully included in OLC_eur, and the ORBx BIFK only works at the correct elevation when disabled in the Vectorcfg. In essence, I think the significantly wrong airport elevation will make it difficult integrating any addon scenery for BIKF.

My suggestion – include the entire Iceland demo features in the OLC-eur package, and make sure the BIKF elevations are closer to real life, ie 171 (approx 182 in the cockpit).

Nigel

Vancouver

Hello Nigel.

Ever since the release of Open LC Europe on 17th July 2014, the entire Iceland demo has been included with the product.

Ever since the release of Global Vector on 2rd December 2013, it has been necessary to disable Vector AEC for certain addon airports.

and the version of BIKF Keflavik included in the demo is one of them.

Here is the evidence that I have not misled you.

You can click on any of the following images to enlarge them.

Iceland demo                                                                                                                           Open LC Europe

2.jpg

Iceland demo                                                                                                                          Open LC Europe

1.jpg

Open LC Europe installed, Iceland demo not installed.

7.jpg

Scenery library

4.jpg

The simulator

3.jpg

I would agree that Keflavik's elevation is not 171 feet.

There are a number of elevation adjustment files placed into scenery\world\scenery and for a Keflavik

addon, it will be necessary to disable Scenery\World\Scenery\AECBIKF.bgl, as well as Vector AEC for BIKF.

Hopefully you will take my word for the fact that the results are identical using only the Iceland demo.

I have solved the odd problem myself over the years and there is also this topic, that might be of interest to you,

in particular the section on Aerosoft Keflavik.

Hi  Nick

I am now confused to the nth degree…………..

The good news - I have resolved my issue the way I want to, including adding freeware scenery by Dan French (for Keflavik only).  But I don’t quite know what happened…………..

Without the demo being installed per se, I checked my files in OLC_eu 8 and 9 against yours and they agreed spot on.  

In the hopes of finding the missing Reykjavik files, I installed the demo, intending to check against your eu8 and 9 folders.  But I found the folders for eu8 and 9 had completely disappeared!! And after several attempts of searching, I could not find where the eu8 and 9 folders or demo files went.

I did a verify files scan for OLC_eur and I think the folders were recovered and I still had the demo installed. So now I had the Reyjavik airport and Cityscape present and the default KeflavikAirport in place at 141.9.

I then added Dan French’s BIKF component and created a new ADE file for BIKF, which is now at 172 elevation, and all seems to be working as I want. I have kept a back-up of the Eu8 and 9 folders incase I have a problem again.

Nick, thx for all your help

regards

Nigel

I should add that my wife and I spent three nights in Reykjavik several years ago on the way to Stockholm and loved it, fascinating country and we would like to go back for a longer stay.  Age unfortunately might be preventing that.  Hence my interest in this scenery.

Nigel

Archived