Labels on North American freeware airports

@larryisenorMany NA Freeware airports have their airport name and ICAO labels visible in Google Earth, without having to do anything with one's cursor.   Likewise, many do not, until one hovers the cursor over the airport symbol, in my case a red-colored airplane.  Can anyone explain why this is the case and how this might be remedied, in the case of the "non-labeled" airports?  Of course, they're not "non-labeled", just that one is forced to hover the cursor over the airport in order to see the label.

Hi Stewart:

I think the airports have been added by different people at different times so that may be the problem. Most of the ones I looked at will display without the cursor but they use different symbols for the airport. The best and most current map is the Google Maps map that is pinned at the top of the forum. It has all the airports from the latest pack included and the airport names and ICAO do display. It is also colour coded by runway surface.

Larry

Thanks, Larry.  I am aware of the Google Maps map, but don't find it as useful as my own version for Google Earth, unfortunately, which allows the user to select any freeware pack(s) for display, in addition to all payware products from Orbx and others, all individually selectable.  And I have replaced all those "tear drop" symbols in some other maps, which I find unsatisfactory, with airplane symbols, which are more to the point.  To each his own.  I was hoping there was something in Google Earth that would allow those "non cursor activated" airports to display like the ones with fixed labels.  Oh, well.

Archived