Orbx Linux doesn't work

Ribs

So, trying to get this installed and working as it seems I'm having issues with the zip files which is taking forever to get sorted. Looks like I'm not going to have any luck here either.

$ ./orbx-central-0.17.2.AppImage

This shows up, I click "Integrate and run":

image.png.35585fb29cdb31184e1e2150f2475e24.png

Console spits this out:
ERROR: appimage_register_in_system : Entry doesn't exists: .DirIcon

Then this shows up:

image.png.a32ea6709052159d8494b3ba4e06bb66.png

Pressing okay then gives this in the terminal:

gtk-update-icon-cache: The generated cache was invalid.
Could not parse file "/home/ribs/.local/share/applications/appimagekit_7ac64ce84a080a4a3d5071d2caeab8c1-Zap.desktop": Invalid key name: Path[$e]

Not a great start. I have other appimage apps on this system which work without this issue.

Downloading again (as the .appimage file is now gone) and clicking "Run once" this time and the application starts, allowing me to login. Progress!

Or not...

image.thumb.png.f0f9616f1e72811e69c0d0bd50624c3a.png

I can't see any option to tell Orbx Central where my XPlane installation is (which has been run at least once). I'm not sure where it's looking, but it's clearly not finding it and I can't figure out an option to tell it where to look. Not a total shock as it's on it's own Hard Drive but it would be nice to at leave let Orbx Central know where to look.

So I can log in. I can't use it.

Also a lot of noise on the terminal:

$ ./orbx-central-0.17.2.AppImage 
Checking for update
Found version 0.18.0 (url: https://web.goog.cdn.orbxdirect.com/software/central/0.18.0-1e4e3ef9/orbx-central-0.18.0.AppImage)
Downloading update from https://web.goog.cdn.orbxdirect.com/software/central/0.18.0-1e4e3ef9/orbx-central-0.18.0.AppImage
updater cache dir: /home/ribs/.cache/orbx-central-updater
Update has already been downloaded to /home/ribs/.cache/orbx-central-updater/pending/orbx-central-0.18.0.AppImage).
Install on explicit quitAndInstall
Install: isSilent: false, isForceRunAfter: true
Error: Error: ENOSYS: function not implemented, unlink '/run/user/1000/appimagelauncherfs/0004.AppImage'
    at unlinkSync (fs.js:930:3)
    at AppImageUpdater.doInstall (/tmp/.mount_orbx-c9QE7JF/resources/app.asar/node_modules/electron-updater/src/AppImageUpdater.ts:77:5)
    at AppImageUpdater.install (/tmp/.mount_orbx-c9QE7JF/resources/app.asar/node_modules/electron-updater/src/BaseUpdater.ts:59:19)
    at AppImageUpdater.quitAndInstall (/tmp/.mount_orbx-c9QE7JF/resources/app.asar/node_modules/electron-updater/src/BaseUpdater.ts:15:30)
    at UpdateManager.quitAndInstall (/tmp/.mount_orbx-c9QE7JF/resources/app.asar/main/services/update-manager/update-manager.ts:92:24)
    at SafeSubscriber._next (/tmp/.mount_orbx-c9QE7JF/resources/app.asar/main/components/splash-screen/splash-screen.ts:51:30)
    at SafeSubscriber.__tryOrUnsub (/tmp/.mount_orbx-c9QE7JF/resources/app.asar/node_modules/rxjs/src/internal/Subscriber.ts:265:10)
    at SafeSubscriber.next (/tmp/.mount_orbx-c9QE7JF/resources/app.asar/node_modules/rxjs/src/internal/Subscriber.ts:207:14)
    at Subscriber._next (/tmp/.mount_orbx-c9QE7JF/resources/app.asar/node_modules/rxjs/src/internal/Subscriber.ts:139:22)
    at Subscriber.next (/tmp/.mount_orbx-c9QE7JF/resources/app.asar/node_modules/rxjs/src/internal/Subscriber.ts:99:12)
    at Subject.next (/tmp/.mount_orbx-c9QE7JF/resources/app.asar/node_modules/rxjs/src/internal/Subject.ts:70:17)
    at AppImageUpdater.<anonymous> (/tmp/.mount_orbx-c9QE7JF/resources/app.asar/main/services/update-manager/update-manager.ts:48:36)
    at AppImageUpdater.emit (events.js:182:13)
    at AppImageUpdater.dispatchUpdateDownloaded (/tmp/.mount_orbx-c9QE7JF/resources/app.asar/node_modules/electron-updater/src/AppUpdater.ts:439:10)
    at Object.<anonymous> (/tmp/.mount_orbx-c9QE7JF/resources/app.asar/node_modules/electron-updater/src/BaseUpdater.ts:30:14)
    at Generator.next (<anonymous>)
Install on explicit quitAndInstall
Install: isSilent: false, isForceRunAfter: true
Error: Error: ENOSYS: function not implemented, unlink '/run/user/1000/appimagelauncherfs/0004.AppImage'
    at AppImageUpdater.doInstall (/tmp/.mount_orbx-c9QE7JF/resources/app.asar/node_modules/electron-updater/src/AppImageUpdater.ts:77:5)
    at AppImageUpdater.install (/tmp/.mount_orbx-c9QE7JF/resources/app.asar/node_modules/electron-updater/src/BaseUpdater.ts:59:19)
    at AppImageUpdater.quitAndInstall (/tmp/.mount_orbx-c9QE7JF/resources/app.asar/node_modules/electron-updater/src/BaseUpdater.ts:15:30)
    at UpdateManager.quitAndInstall (/tmp/.mount_orbx-c9QE7JF/resources/app.asar/main/services/update-manager/update-manager.ts:92:24)
    at AppImageUpdater.<anonymous> (/tmp/.mount_orbx-c9QE7JF/resources/app.asar/main/services/update-manager/update-manager.ts:51:18)
    at AppImageUpdater.emit (events.js:182:13)
    at AppImageUpdater.dispatchUpdateDownloaded (/tmp/.mount_orbx-c9QE7JF/resources/app.asar/node_modules/electron-updater/src/AppUpdater.ts:439:10)
    at Object.<anonymous> (/tmp/.mount_orbx-c9QE7JF/resources/app.asar/node_modules/electron-updater/src/BaseUpdater.ts:30:14)
    at Generator.tryCatcher (/tmp/.mount_orbx-c9QE7JF/resources/app.asar/node_modules/bluebird/js/release/util.js:16:23)
    at PromiseSpawn._promiseFulfilled (/tmp/.mount_orbx-c9QE7JF/resources/app.asar/node_modules/bluebird/js/release/generators.js:97:49)
    at Object.<anonymous> (/tmp/.mount_orbx-c9QE7JF/resources/app.asar/node_modules/bluebird/js/release/generators.js:201:15)
    at Object.done (/tmp/.mount_orbx-c9QE7JF/resources/app.asar/node_modules/electron-updater/src/BaseUpdater.ts:29:11)
    at /tmp/.mount_orbx-c9QE7JF/resources/app.asar/node_modules/electron-updater/src/AppUpdater.ts:583:25

And again when I quit the app:

Auto install update on quit
Install: isSilent: true, isForceRunAfter: false
    at app.onQuit.exitCode (/tmp/.mount_orbx-c9QE7JF/resources/app.asar/node_modules/electron-updater/src/BaseUpdater.ts:91:12)
    at App.app.once (/tmp/.mount_orbx-c9QE7JF/resources/app.asar/node_modules/electron-updater/src/ElectronAppAdapter.ts:41:48)
    at Object.onceWrapper (events.js:273:13)
    at App.emit (events.js:187:15)
    at App.<anonymous> (/tmp/.mount_orbx-c9QE7JF/resources/app.asar/main.ts:53:9)
    at App.emit (events.js:182:13)

12 hours ago, Ribs said:

ERROR: appimage_register_in_system : Entry doesn't exists: .DirIcon

I haven't seen this before. That dialog looks very KDE, so I'm guessing you're using KDE? I've checked on Manjaro/KDE and Ubuntu/KDE VMs and it appeared to integrate fine. What distro are you running, and what version is it?

13 hours ago, Ribs said:

Also a lot of noise on the terminal:

We've got verbose logging on our update system enabled at the moment as we've been troubleshooting some issues on macOS. I believe those errors may be a side effect of running it using 'Run Once'.

We've just released 0.18.0 which may fix some issues within our update system. You can download the AppImage here.

12 hours ago, Ribs said:

I can't see any option to tell Orbx Central where my XPlane installation is (which has been run at least once). I'm not sure where it's looking, but it's clearly not finding it and I can't figure out an option to tell it where to look. Not a total shock as it's on it's own Hard Drive but it would be nice to at leave let Orbx Central know where to look.

We've encountered this before when the hard drive that has X-Plane 11 installed wasn't mounted.

Central decides on an X-Plane directory by doing the following:

• Checking ~/.x-plane/x-plane_install_11.txt for the paths
  • Check each path for a X-Plane-x86_64
  • If it finds a valid path with the right file, it'll recognize it as a simulator.

Therefore, can you check the following things:

• Do you have a ~/.x-plane directory with a x-plane_install_11.txt within it? It should be automatically generated by X-Plane 11 after its first boot.
  • Does the the path(s) inside x-plane_install_11.txt exist, can they be accessed , and do they have a X-Plane-x86_64 executable?

6 hours ago, Mitchell Williamson said:

I haven't seen this before. That dialog looks very KDE, so I'm guessing you're using KDE? I've checked on Manjaro/KDE and Ubuntu/KDE VMs and it appeared to integrate fine. What distro are you running, and what version is it?

KDE Neon, 18.04 user edition.

We've encountered this before when the hard drive that has X-Plane 11 installed wasn't mounted

It's mounted. A tad tricky to use Xplane on an unmounted drive.

• Do you have a ~/.x-plane directory with a x-plane_install_11.txt within it? It should be automatically generated by X-Plane 11 after its first boot.
  • Does the the path(s) inside x-plane_install_11.txt exist, can they be accessed , and do they have a X-Plane-x86_64 executable?

~/.x-plane does not exist. Nor would I expect it to. Xplane doesn't have permission to write to my home directory.

Steam is installed via a flatpak package, and as a basic security precaution I've removed access to my home directory. Steam, and the games it spawns, have no business looking in there so it prevents anything malicious from happening be it from a rouge game, a exploit or a misbehaving addon.

Xplane is installed via Steam, so is subject to it's security restrictions. I am not undoing this arrangement under any circumstances.

I'm assuming that xplane is still allowed to create it's files... somewhere, although I couldn't tell you where. Presumably inside .var/app/com.valvesoftware.Steam in the mess of folders it puts there, or maybe where the drive is mounted. But I wouldn't know where. locate didn't find the file but that doesn't mean a huge amount.

I don't really care if Orbx Central works or not. I just want the product I paid for to work. It looks like you've private messaged me with a link to a revised North archive. I'll download it later and hopefully this will finally be resolved.

On 6/29/2019 at 12:57 AM, Ribs said:

~/.x-plane does not exist. Nor would I expect it to. Xplane doesn't have permission to write to my home directory.

You could try creating ~/.x-plane/x-plane_install_11.txt and place the path to your X-Plane directory in that file. Then Orbx Central will be able to see it.

Archived