TE GB South, Poor texture loading, poor scenery performance

Hi all!

After taking some time away from GB because of not solving any issues, I decided to do another test flight. Since the day I bought and installed TE GB South, I have had texture loading issues, no matter what settings I use (Nick's, JV's, custom) and no matter which part of the country I fly in. It is worse in London area but I also have poor texture loading out in rural areas. 

Anyway, I decided to do a test flight again from EGMB to EGKB in the Carenado Mooney M20R Ovation cruising at 3,500 ft. Fair Weather Theme. All settings completely left.

I took off that way and after a few minutes stepped up the texture resolution to get things crisp and also eventually stepped up the mesh resolution and level of detail radius until the settings were what you see below. 

WtJgzui.jpg

bbuRw3v.jpg

DTIKlul.jpg

P2OGL4I.jpg

Even at these settings, the texture loading would not keep up. For a while, the textures would load ok, but at certain points, they wouldn't crisp up until under the plane or later. When the textures would be fuzzy, looking at my processor usage through the resource monitor, every core would be maxed out but I was still getting 30 fps and smooth flight.

As a note, I had this same texture loading issue when I flew this flight with Mesh Resolution=305m, Level of Detail Radius=Low, and Texture Resolution=1m

I don't know what's going on. 

Is it an issue with my download of this scenery or is there an issue with my system? Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Using P3d 4.4 and you can see the basic info of my system in my signature. 

• 2 months later...

Hello Tim -

I, too, have always struggled with texture loading keeping up even in the PNW region in certain areas.

But I recently installed P3D4.5 as a completely fresh installation (not just updating the client...completely starting over and with a fresh download that incorporates the latest 4.5 “Hotfix” and it is much, much better...I can come screaming into Friday harbor at 150 knots and the textures are there and crisp...for the first time ever.

And I haven’t made a single “tweak”.

Your mileage may vary, I havent tried TE GB and it is a pain to reinstall things...but that has been my experience.

Thanks,

Steve

Fellow Wisconsin Resident

On 8/29/2019 at 5:12 AM, Steve Colbert said:

I, too, have always struggled with texture loading keeping up even in the PNW region in certain areas.

But I recently installed P3D4.5 as a completely fresh installation (not just updating the client...completely starting over and with a fresh download that incorporates the latest 4.5 “Hotfix” and it is much, much better...I can come screaming into Friday harbor at 150 knots and the textures are there and crisp...for the first time ever.

Thanks Steve! I didn't have texture loading issues anywhere else in the world, but only in TE GB. 

On 8/29/2019 at 6:33 AM, John Dow said:

here's a suggestion to delete the Shaders in P3DV4 to improve performance.  Attached is a cmd I was given to do that for you.

Also using a scenery config editor to untick ALL unnecessary scenery layers speeds up loading time and I have found it reduces the blurries as well.  No idea why.

Thanks John! I'll keep that in mind. Every time I install a new scenery, I delete the shaders but it's always worth another try...

As an update, I decided to wipe clean everything for my flight sim and start from scratch. I deleted EVERYTHING! Then redownloaded and installed P3dv4.5 and went through the process of installing all my addons again.

After doing so, I did a short ga flight around some of TE GB and it seemed to work very well, so I decided to put it to the test and fly the PMDG 737 from EHAM to EGLL and see how it did. And it did great! Night and day difference from the above issue! When I tried to do that flight in the past, I would have to pause 5 or 6 times for about 5 minutes each to let the blurry mess below me clear up. Now, I didn't pause once and everything loaded pretty well. Obviously, it is still a very heavy scenery but it did very well!

So, I think I have that issue solved. 

2 hours ago, Tim K said:

As an update, I decided to wipe clean everything for my flight sim and start from scratch. I deleted EVERYTHING! Then redownloaded and installed P3dv4.5 and went through the process of installing all my addons again.

After doing so, I did a short ga flight around some of TE GB and it seemed to work very well, so I decided to put it to the test and fly the PMDG 737 from EHAM to EGLL and see how it did. And it did great! Night and day difference from the above issue! When I tried to do that flight in the past, I would have to pause 5 or 6 times for about 5 minutes each to let the blurry mess below me clear up. Now, I didn't pause once and everything loaded pretty well. Obviously, it is still a very heavy scenery but it did very well!

So, I think I have that issue solved. 

Excellent!!!

Glad to hear it...P3Dv4.5 seems to work much better texture loading-wise.

Steve

1 hour ago, Steve Colbert said:

Excellent!!!

Glad to hear it...P3Dv4.5 seems to work much better texture loading-wise.

Good! Like I said, I didn't have problems with other sceneries and texture loading. But, I'm sure my flight sim folder was a mess since I had not down a full reinstall since P3dv4 first came out. I had only done client reinstalls and such. So add to that scenery installations and deletions and all that kind of stuff, my p3d files were probably a mess. So, cleaning everything out once seems to have done a lot of good!

Archived