Plane crashes in NZSI - crash and damage off

Dear Orbx,

I have recently been experiencing unexplained sudden plane crashes in the vicinity of NZQN in Orbx NZSI. From the various threads , I realise you are supposed to turn off Crash and Damage in the P3D controls. The problem is this setting is already off but I am still getting the crashes. To my knowledge this had never happened anywhere else in the world except NZSI and it happens to every plane I have tried.

So I have to assume it could be scenery related, and maybe I have missed something. I am not saying it is Orbx scenery of course, but since others have experienced the same things in this area, and as Orbx all seem to know what they are talking about,  I am starting by asking you first.

I attach a photo of the plane just as it it happened. Speed drops to almost zero, and 2019-5-16_10-51-38-630.thumb.jpg.2833c7dfa440626173b9758cad175292.jpgthe event is accompnaied by a crashing sound in the sim. So it does seem like it hit an invisible wall, but it does not occur in the same place. It was always along the RWY 23 TIMJO SID, at 17000ft to the north of NZQN, in my case in the Vertx Diamond DA 62, and also same happened in Carenado B350i and Carenado C90. In the same area, same altitude but not in the exact same location. Weather was stormy with strong tail winds but I carefully manged airspeed to compensate.

Any help will be deeply appreciated.

Kind rergards,

Ray

Hi Nick,

First thanks for your very prompt response.

Sorry I uploaded a low res file. The coordinates in this particular case were 44.28.14 S, 169 41.39 E; just a couple of NM west of the TIMJO fix. But do note, the exact location where it happens at each time is variable. I would be suprised if you could reproduce it.

In the past I have done dozens of flights in this area without any problems (other than the occassional stutter perhaps). I have never had crashes and damage switched on. I purchased the FPS FFTF dynamic limiter a few days ago but not sure if that had anything  to do with it.

For background:

Running P3D v4.4, i5 4690 CPU, GTX1080 graphics,  2Tb 720RPM drive, 32Gb Memory Win 10 Pro. Orbx NZSI, NZQN, Vector and Base. I also run the Autogen Config Manager (ACM) as I have a VFR France region and Flightscene Tahiti. The Orbx NZSI etc sceneries seem unaffected  by that. I do have other 3rd party sceneries but they all claim to be P3D v4 compatible. eg my FSX3D LFMR add on was problematic when I installed it and did some damage to the scenery config. I restored the scenery config and reinstalled some of the Orbx regions inlcuding NZSI and the two local airports NZQN and NZMF. I have checked in FTX central for errors and NZSI and the both airports check out OK.

Let me know if you need any logs.

Kind regards,

Ray

Hi Nick,

No it definitely appears to be hitting something - a crash sound is generated when it happens - so the sim thinks it's crashed I guess. It does not default to the default flight though.

P3D does not crash either - the plane is then simply uncontrollable and plummets to the ground. The engines are still running but speed goes to zero. The sim and scenery is unaffected, so it's not a CTD.

I am going to try another flight, as another possibility is I have found EZDOK v3 has sometimes been problematic with my planes - eg making them jump about.. I have rerun the Ezdok config (now run as Administrator) as that sometimes sorts things out, so we will see what happens.

Thanks again - I'll let you know.

Ray

Hi Nick,

Thanks. I don’t think we need to involve Holger (much as it would be great to hear from him). I think I’ve sorted it fingers crossed.

I had lazily neglected to run Ezdok v3 as an Admin. So I rectified that and also ran its config  as Admin. I then managed to complete the flight to NZMC.

My theory is that on all my flights with crashes, we had an very strong  tail wind (82kt), and Ezdok gets real time data from AS16 etc. If it’s not running as Admin it could be getting spurious data occasionally. So if for example the wind value suddenly erroneously read an 82kt headwind instead of an 82kt tailwind, that would be the same as having a crash, instantly losing 164kt of airspeed- I was only flying at 185kt IAS.

Anyway just a theory but it seems to fit.  whatever it was,  your help has been most welcome.

Kind regards,

Ray

Hi

Final thing..

Actually my theory seems to have been correct. I noticed a180 degree 'change' in the direction arrow of the 82kt wind on the ND just after the crash.... oddly the wind arrow changed direction on the ND, but the actual vector listed was still the same (199 degrees). So running as admin was obviously the right solution all along. Lessons learned.

hope this helps anyone else...

Thanks again.

Archived