Third PNW flight

Guest J van E

Guest J van E

Again no dramatic screenshots with 'screenshotweather' or 'screenshottimeofday', but some straighforward pictures made on my flight towards Fall City: an honest look at PNW's beauty. 8) I just can't get enough of it.  :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And again the airfield has been dressed up nicely! :) Neil Hill, you did a terrific job! (So did the others of course, but for me (I fly without AI) these 'dressed up' airports are absolutely great and worth the price of PNW alone!)

Posted Image

Hi there,

great series of screenshots (the other two series as well), thanks for sharing!

I very much agree that Neil is a huge part of what makes PNW special. I don't know whether he has a tally of hours spent but he tirelessly made multiple passes of enhancements for each of the close to 500 airfields; even more so because he had to deal with a moving target since the landscape around the airfields often changed with a new Beta build.

Have fun exploring!

Cheers, Holger 

I very much agree that Neil is a huge part of what makes PNW special. I don't know whether he has a tally of hours spent but he tirelessly made multiple passes of enhancements for each of the close to 500 airfields; even more so because he had to deal with a moving target since the landscape around the airfields often changed with a new Beta build.

Plus there were these annoying beta testers who kept reporting little mesh bumps on the runway or slight elevation discrepancies.  ;D

His patience and work really is commendable! Of course that goes for all of you.

Guest J van E

How are the fps?

Hi fellow Dutchman! ;) Fps are great. Or just as before, really. I have FSX limited at 25 using the limiter and I fly at 25 all the time. Only above huge cities like Seattle it begins to stutter but well, I am running a i7 920 at 3.3 so that's no surprise. ;)

A few weeks ago I have optimized FSX and my system so I can fly above the bush with Extremely dense autogen because I like my forests extremely dense: I was afraid PNW would force me to let go of some settings but in fact I even moved some sliders even further to the right (specially the settings concerning mesh etc. and the cloud density (from full left to full right!)) and to my amazement it still runs great! I have to say I sometimes do have late loading textures in some situations, but I can live with that. It looks and runs awesome! When I look at those screenshots and got the time to really look at all the detail, I sometimes think: does ALL THAT scenery really move smooth on my system...? Yes, it does! :)

It's stunning and those trees finally look like trees thanks to those textures. 8)

Well... I am told the new tree textures only made it into PNW at the very last moment, thanks to Bill Womack... and (I hope Orbx won't mind me saying this), I have to say (being a tree-lover) the trees surprised me the most (at first anyway)! They absolutely look stunning, full, 3D, varied, awesome. Of course, just as with the 'dressed up' airports I love so much, it all adds up: the trees, the airports, the textures, the landclass, the mesh, etc. etc. etc. on their own they are all great, but together it all adds up to the best scereny ever. Orbx rocks!

Guest J van E

Really nice shots.  Actually I think they show off the scenery pretty well.

Thanks, I like to keep my shots 'clean', so they simply show what's there ;) (which, so I found out, seems the best thing to do to convert people to FTX/PNW)! I'll leave the creative shots to others. :P

Thanks, I like to keep my shots 'clean', so they simply show what's there ;) (which, so I found out, seems the best thing to do to convert people to FTX/PNW)! I'll leave the creative shots to others. :P

That little bit of creativity that I use in my shots (if you wanna call some camera angles that) are just to compensate for the fact that screenshots don't do the scenery justice. It looks so much better when in motion and in full resolution than in downsized and compressed screenshots. ;)

Hi all,

Well, many thanks for the VERY nice comments.  These airports have been a labor of love.  I'ts always irked me that FS airports seemed so...well...blah.  I thank Holger and John for giving me the chance to do something about it.  My greatest hope is you ENJOY them.

By the way, my wife is thrilled that PNW is releasing, she expects to see me for more than a few hours at a time again.

Cheers, Neil (the airport guy)

Thank you, J van E, for another great set of screenies. Love your shots, and especially those from inside the cockpit.

Orbx took a genius decision in deciding to re-work and upgrade those 400+ airfields. It is like we have the NA of OZx already! A fitting name would be NAx, no? ;D. Great work, Neil, and thank you for livening the bland default airfields!

Archived