Selecting a different drive for install

MickB

I did not realise I could select a diiferent drive for the install of Orbx until I saw the sticky

"True Earth Great Britain - Solutions for installation problems"

Can I uninstall ORBX GB South and then re install to my other drive?

I am having problems with space on the drive where XP11 is installed. I have  a seperate drive with loads of space.

Regards MickB

• Transaction ID: 5c95e46bcb26a
  • Product: TrueEarth Great Britain South - X-Plane 11
  • Purchased at: 2019-03-23 07:49:14
  • Quantity purchased: 1

Sorry guys, I have the same problem.. and I opened an addition post .. sorry for that !!!

I have a question:

''  link them back to the Custom Scenery folder with a symbolic link ''

… what do y mean with a symbolic link ?

The procedure can be as follow:

-  Cut & past the folder  esample '' England shouth '' from  Custom scenary XP  to external HD.

- Create a link from the external HD and past it back to the Custom scenary of XP ?'

Is that correct ? that'all?

Tks.

andrea

Nick,

I know what you're on about; you know what you're on about. It really is an OS problem, until Orbx releases its next version of FTX central - when world peace will reign and drive problems will be abolished.

FWIW, I'm originally from Lancs and currently live in Scunny. Fight! :-)

Symbolic Links etc

There is an easy way to do this which doesn't involve DOS coding (using mklink for example). This is the way I do it.

1. Copy your original Xplane Custom Scenery folder to the drive on which you wish to store the files - this may take some time!

2. Rename the original Custom Scenery in Xplane to Old Custom Scenery

3. If you have space, back up this Old Custom Scenery, or move it, somewhere safe to another location

4. Your Xplane folder should now be devoid of Custom Scenery

5. Visit the web page here [ http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/linkshellextension.html ] and get the program Link Shell Extension - lots of scary stuff here so download only

6. Install as Administrator

7. Reboot

8. Here's the fun part!

9. Get 2 windows open side by side - one showing the Xplane main folder structure, the other showing the Custom Scenery on your new drive where you copied it in 1 above

10. Right-click the Custom Scenery folder and, holding the right button down, drag the Custom Scenery folder across to your Xplane folder

11. Let go of the mouse and a menu pops up when you let the mouse "hover"- choose "Drop Here" and then left-click on "Symbolic Link"

12. Run Xplane then quit without going to a flight page (ie quit when the main menu comes up)

12. Voila! Xplane and your computer and ORBX FTX Central now thinks your Custom Scenery folder is in the root of the Xplane folder

13. Test and enjoy

14. If you need any more help or info, just holler!

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/82222-do-not-install-x-plane-in-the-program-files-folder/

Here's an old post by one of the XP gurus. I have installed XP various places ie /program files folder, secondary drive, etc and not had problems. Until I did suffer random CTD's eventually and went nearly nuts trying to solve it. Then, I finally decided to install a fresh copy of XP to where the installer wanted to put it....on the user/desktop! Which normally would not have been my choice. But it solved my problem of unexplained crashes. So I have XP 11.31 on my desktop with shortcuts to GB TE which are on another drive.

Archived