Orbx TE GB South Mac service pack

chifan90

Hello,   

I downloaded the service pack update from the Orbx website, it was 29GB in size.   I placed those 3 folders into my custom scenery, thus replacing the original 3 folders.  I loaded x-plane and got an error messages.  Please help.   I am on Mac.   

Screen Shot 2019-03-17 at 8.05.35 PM.jpg

Hello,

it seems that you did not download the update at all.

Here is the announcement topic, showing the download link and the file size,

highlighted in green.

1.jpg

The only 29GB file is the MANUAL DOWNLOAD on the Orbx Direct account product page,

which is clearly shown to be for FTX Central and Windows.

If you downloaded the 25 GB CROSS PLATFORM download from the same page,

then you have not completed the installation process unless you now run the file conversion.

Once you have repaired the damage, please go to the correct link, to be found on this page:

I think your instructions on johns link may be missing a step.   the SP folder sizes are so small compared to the main release.   if you simply put them in custom scenery to overwrite , it would get rid of the bigger folder.  do you not mean to extract the SP folder contents into the main install ?  not the folder itself

Hello,

who is John?

Unless the Mac OS is very different to Windows, extracting a small folder into

a folder already containing a much larger folder with the same name will simply

merge the two folders with the smaller folder overwriting all the identical files and

leaving all the other files untouched.

Nick

Yep, the Mac is different in that you don’t have to extract. The files are downloaded as a normal folder and files. 

On pressing the download link you get a folder called:

Orbx_TE_GB_South_SP1

and the three perfectly formed sub folders with all their contents. 

There’s nothing to extract. The OS does that automatically on download. There’s simply no extract option. 

Now if you copy and paste the subfolders then they will update/add to the existing folder in Custom Scenery, giving you the option to overwrite each file, which is what you need. 

However, if you just drag and drop (i.e.move) the downloaded SP1 folders i.e. Orbx_A_GB_South_True_Earth_Custom (3.81 Gb) into your Custom Scenery folder it will replace the existing folder so all you are left with is the SP1 files rather than a combination of original and SP1. 

You get a message warning you that there is an existing folder of that name and that you are about to replace the complete folder. 

If SP1 were a complete replacement of everything in the Custom and Overlay folders that would be OK.  However as it’s an update you have to make sure to copy and paste SP1 Folders rather than drag and drop. 

Tony

If this is really the case, I am very pleased that I do not use the Mac OS.:(

Windows does not do anything so silly, it just replaces the files within the folders.

I suppose that would be "merges" them.

The only way to replace a folder in Windows is to first remove it.

I have amended the instructions on the release announcement to read

For MacOS/Linux users, please download the SP1 files from here and merge the contents into your Custom Scenery folder.

Does that rule out any misunderstanding?

I believe so, but you might just want to double check with someone who really knows what they’re doing with a Mac rather than this amateur who thinks he knows the answer! 

I only realised myself when I just dragged and dropped the first time  (so much simpler than all that Winzip malarkey)  :-) but of course so much more dangerous. As with the OP it was a simple Time Machine recovery of the original folders, then trying again. 

Now to work out why the frame rates have bombed.

Tony

Archived