New SSD reinstall?

Nosferatu

I’ve just received a 1TB M2 NVME SSD to fit all of ORBX True Earth GB. Currently my OS, X-plane 11, and all my scenery are crammed on another 500GB SSD. What is the best way to install now I have the two drives? Should I put XPlane on a different drive to the OS? If not, can I keep the OS and X-plane 11 on the 500gb and add new ORBX scenery to the 1TB? How would I do this? Any advice greatly appreciated. 

The preferred route would be to have XP on a different drive than the OS. The OS drive is probably more susceptible to a Windows reinstall need and the subsequent loss of programmes if not backed up somewhere. However, in your case I would suggest, others may have different ideas, that you keep XP where it is. You can just have the bare bones of XP on the C drive and move all the major files onto the new drive and then symbolic link them back to XP. I have all my Custom Scenery, Global Scenery, Aircraft on a seperate drive and have those files symlinked to my XP install. XP install is therefore only about 20GB with about 400GB symlinked from other drives. This means if something goes wrong with XP I only have to reinstall the basic XP and re-symlink the major files back again.

5 hours ago, Nosferatu said:

Time to learn about symbolic links then! Thanks for the advice! ;)

See this thread by Nick and use the Link Shell Extension. It is so very easy and effective, even i can do it:D The use of the symlink is not just applicable to the Orbx folder, but I use it for the major Folders that use a lot of gigabytes like Aircraft, Global Scenery and Custom Scenery.

I would keep your OS on the 500GB SSD and simply move the whole X-Plane folder to the 1TB M2.

I did this recently with a 1TB M2 and X-Plane now loads a lot faster.

If the M2 starts to fill up, and your motherboard has more M2 sockets,  you could purchase a second one down the line.

M2's are getting a lot cheaper now!

Hi Nosferatu, I don't have those addons. As far as I know X-Plane is self contained and everything is installed within the X-Plane folder unless you specifically choose a different location.

Copy your X-Plane folder to the M2 drive and rename the original folder on the SSD - with BACKUP or OLD added to the name - this can be kept as backup until you know that the copy is working OK on the M2.

My loading times are hugely faster.

On a cold morning: PC start up in 3 seconds. XPlane to main menu in 37 seconds. Main menu to cockpit in 2 minutes and 9 seconds (loading True Earth Central and Manchester Barton). 

Second attempt: main menu in 32 seconds, menu to cockpit in 1 minute and 29 seconds (same scenery).

For me that’s considerably faster than pre-SSD. If you decide on the buy, I’d highly recommend the Addlink below, as speed for cost pretty unmatched. I now have two with no issues as yet: 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K7LRB2T/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Archived