Hervey Bay Helo landing

John Venema

Someone sent a video response to our YHBA video on OrbxTube. I thought I would share it with you all here, since it looks remarkably like a certain airport scenery we all know and love  ::):P8)

Helicopter Landing in Hervey Bay

It would be interesting to see a split screen comparison between this and a Bell doing the same landing in FTX eh?

Hi Rimshot, no it is not, you have to be practicing a lot to do it, it is  simple once you grasp it as it is responsive and predictable. I cannot fly the default now it seems slggish and not true...

you will love it...

@drumsonly2002 everything is like real, blade slap disymetry of lift, exceeded VNE at altitude and low temp, everything...fantastic

regards  Jorge

Hi Rimshot, no it is not, you have to be practicing a lot to do it, it is  simple once you grasp it as it is responsive and predictable. I cannot fly the default now it seems slggish and not true...

I totally agree with this. Once you start getting the hang of the Dodo you really start to gel with it and learn how it will react and therefore what to do or not to do to keep it flying. Be key point is to try and stay relaxed and focused, all too easy to over-fly the Dodo and make a meal of flying it, treat it right and it's an extremely satisfying add-on aircraft to fly. I also agree with the statement about going back to the default helo's they really do fell odd and un-natural after you get used to flying the Dodo.

A few quick tips for flying/learning to fly the Dodo...

• Relax - Take you time. If you start to get frustrated with the Dodo you simply won't enjoy it because you'll start chasing control and using larger controller inputs than you need.
  • Basics - Get the start-up sequence learned by heart so you don't damage or burn the engine on start-up/shut-down.
  • Difficulty level - It is my opinion that sticking with the lower difficulty levels too long is counter productive. Personally I would say pretty much start at level 3 and then progress to level 4/5 fairly quickly.
  • Keep it simple - initially just practise taking off and landing, this will help you start to learn the subtle control inputs required to fly the Dodo.
  • It's a Sim - You're not likely to die from crashing the Dodo (weak heart aside etc!). Once you are able to get the Dodo in the air and start to feel comfortable start to experiment with control inputs, i.e. abuse them a bit you'll soon learn what to do by learning what not to do. You may want to climb to around 3,000-4,000 before you do this so you have time to try and recover.
  • Flying Fast - The Dodo is relatively easy to fly once you have a bit of forward speed going on so this is another good opportunity to see what you can or cannot get away with control wise.
  • Flying slow - It's harder to fly the Dodo accurately when you are flying slowly. When you get within a few feet of the ground you will find yourself in "ground effect" that is a nice stable cushion of air that makes it easier to fly low and slow/hover. My suggestion for improving your low/slow flying skills is to follow AI aircraft taxiing at airports.
  • Multi-player - A great way to learn is from other fellow Dodo fliers, if you can try and join a few online sessions to practise your flying skills and pick up tips from other Dodo pilots.

This is by no means an expert guide to flying the Dodo, but just some things to consider if you are new to the Dodo and want to progess and enjoy it more.  ;)

Thanks for the extensive advice Paul. I'm seriously considering the Dodo Bell to explore all the helipads on the PNW scenery :)

Well best I don't go on about it here, I've rather taken this thread off topic sorry about that - perhaps this thread could be split with the helo flying stuff moved to the egg-beater forum please?  :)

TBH, I'm a fussy sod at the best of times so it's quite rare for me to really rave about any product and I'll always find something that I think could be better. Orbx scenery and the Dodo are two products that impress me considerably and I whole heartily recommend (and yes I can find things that could be better from my POV!).  ;)

great work! (the chopper in the "real" video is a R44 from MI Helicopters which their sign and building with hangar is immaculately modelled in the Orbx YBHA scenery. another piece of trivia is if you all look closely you'll see a piper cherokee, 35 yrs old, at the fuel bowser. the owner of that aircraft and the open hangar is a mate of mine whom i believe purchased all the ftx products and a bigger computer to run fsx immediately i told him about ORBX and that YHBA had recently been released. i believe it's him holding the camera and taxied his aircraft out to be in the shot!) 8) 8) 8)

Sean.

fair enough. i'll find out where it came from. the only choppers that use that spot immediately in front of that hangar is MI. it's private. everyone else uses the main area in front of that beyond the lawned area. the only choppers based in hervey bay are 2 R44s' owned by MI. maybe they recently bought a 206? watch this space! ??? ??? ???

Sean. 

Archived