Request advice on Multi-Monitor set-up

paddler

I currently run a P3D v4.4 flight sim cockpit using 3 X UHD 24 inch Dell monitors (1900 x 1200) in NVIDIA surround. I also have a 10 inch Faytec touch screen monitor for my F1 GTN 750 GPS on an NVIDIA GEFORCE 980 TI card. It worked like a charm. However one of my 24 inch monitors just died (won't power on) and needs to be replaced. I now fly with just two 24 in monitors (left and center of old setup on a resolution of 3840 x 1200) until I replace the broken one. My plan would be to modify the setup so the two existing 24 inch screens become the left and right view with a new 34 inch curved screen as the center monitor. The new 34 in screen would have a resolution of 2440 x 1440 (2K) or even maybe 4K. Future plans will be to eventually upgrade with new CPU and GPU in a year or so once new gen of GPUs settles in and prices drop.

My primary question is with two monitors of 1900 x 1200 resolution will the cockpit still work in NVIDIA Surround with another monitor of 3440 x 1440 resolution? Would it work in windowed mode? I prefer surround as I also use Track IR.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a 34 inch curved monitor? I prefer one of 1800 R or 1900 R curvature. I would appreciate any other advice re how to set up the cockpit.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Update: on the GeForce forums I find that this lack of support for surround on monitors of different resolution has been a long time issue with no acknowledgement noted from NVIDIA. The only solution to my problem would appear to be to switch to AMD for GPU and software that does accomplish this. If anyone has a different experience I would be glad if you would share it.

14 hours ago, GSalden said:

NVSurround works with 2 or 3 displays but they need to have the same native resolution ...

Yes, and that is my problem. It has worked wonderfully for me for years with my three 24 in Dell monitors until one malfunctioned on me. Apparently AMD Radeon and Eyefinity have worked multiple monitors of different resolution or orientation for years. GeForce Nvidia have failed to match or better this capability. Thanks for your response.

I'm curious why you are not using Viewgroups? I guess there must be a reason. 

I have a wide outside view, for my 737, consisting of two 40 inch LCD monitors and one 50 inch. Two different manufacturers, vintages,  and different native resolutions. The three are fed from one GeForce GTX 1070. For consistency, I do have them all set at the lowest native resolution.

Didn't take long to set up last year (or was it the year before?)

Last year, I set up another 20 inch monitor laying on my eye brow windows and the view at -30 degrees up. Another native resolution.

The system works great. All pop up with the correct setting and layout when I start P3D V4.4. 

Aussie

Aussie123,

Frankly, I had forgotten all about Viewgroups until last night when I came across a YouTube video on setting it up. That video was using three identical monitors though so until your email I was questioning the viability to use widely diverse resolution monitors. Will your setup work with TrackIR?  That will be a must for me. 

Thanks for your reply. I will certainly investigate Viewgroups very thoroughly.

Sorry Paddler,

I've never used TrackIR. I have never needed to use it as I have a full cockpit of hardware and fixed outside views.

I did see some forum traffic a couple of versions ago of P3D that they had compatibility problems but I'm sure it has improved.

I guess it should work. Give it a go. it's not very hard and reversible.

Aussie

Archived