Teamspeak Vs FSInn

Bassman

Just flying tonite, Bathurst to Tumut,  and noticed lots of pilots on FSInn radar and Copilot Control Panel but hardly anybody on the FSInn  under rw1.vatpac.org/virtualvfr chat room. One of the things I enjoy so much is the sharing of the experience by multiplayer flying. Most times there is no ATC just CTAF's and MBZ frequencies and so one of the few benefits of multiplayer flying is the interaction in the chat room.

If there is no active ATC and pilots don't want to interact with other pilots, then why bother to fly on-line????Please, I am not questioning anybody's right to fly online without being bothered by chatter boxes like me, but then why bother to fly online???

Of course there is another possibility and that is maybe pilots are reserving their on-line chat to another program like Teamspeak.

Which raises my next questions in oder

-how does Teamspeak integrate with FSInn?

-what is teamspeak server and what is teamspeak client?(Teamspeak website does not easily explain this).

-what do I actually need to download and to use teamspeak specifically for FSX?

Cheers  Dan

You are better of using Skype.

We used Teamspeak for Orbx team dev meetings for a long while but it became discontinued due to the take up of Skype which has better clarity and reduced delay etc.

Client = what you use to connect to a service hosted on someone elses server

Server = what you use to host a service that other people can connect to using their Clients

Russ.

Hi Dan,

Chatterbox? yeah me too,  if you want to download teamspeak 3 program, most of us that fly online use the old voz server (well in name only these days)  this is the IP 74.86.75.235  I use Vatsim too and find people pretty nice in the USA (ATC) but the chatter as you say is non existent, most people are afraid to stray from ATC procedures for fear of being told they are not following the "rules" on vatsim, but we use the FSX/Gamespy onboard multiplayer a lot to fly, you can usually find us in the bush flying lobby or helicopter ops, if there is ever a password it is usually "ozx" most of us are on at night US time so round Australian lunch times is the best to find a few of use tearing around the FTX world.  I am sure this will get a lot busier with the release of PNW imminent but jump online some time and say G'day.

Just reading about all the TS3 problems on the OZx forum. Not sure that I want to go down that path?

However would still like to know if:

Do I download and install both the Client program and the Server program or just the Client seeing that I don't do any hosting?

Cheers  Dan

and as for issues, they were back in the early TS3 beta releases, they are up to beta 13 now and I installed that 2 dayss ago, trouble free install, all I had to do was enter in the server address and I was chatting in 5 minutes.

Just working thru installing TS3 into FSInn control panel.

Know how to do it for Vatsim is is working fine.

Have entered my callsign in Net Specific callsign, entered VOZ as a Net Label, Server address 74.86.75.235, ticked TS (not TS VA mode as am not starting a virual airline) and entered 122.80 in Unicom Freq.

I have made no entries in ID, Password, Unicom channel, or Voice ATIS URL.

The Copliot indicators are showing "Green" for TS3 so I know that FSInn has opened the actual program ok.

The message I get at bottom of settings, Network, VOZ (the net label I chose) is "Connection failed - User Prob:User VID is empty".

Any ideas please.

Dan

Righto I think it is about time I dispel some myths,  There are a number of VoIP Clients in use and they all function.

First off FSINN audio client as is used by VATSIM is specifically targeted at low bandwidth audio so it has minimum impact of synchronisation for flying.

Team Speak is as good as Skype and it depends on what codec is set the audio can be of CD quality BUT the downside is  the bandwidth required.

Gamespy Audio is like FSINN Audio and has been specifically tailored for low bandwidth as well.

Ventrillo is another that is used often in On-line Racing circles because it has minimal impact on FPS and syncronisation as well.

To be frank I really do not think that any one is significantly better than any other when running the same Audio CODEC.

Dan

TS3 can not be integrated into FSINN as such, the entries are there to allow FSINN to recognise the use of TS as a Pilot CoPilot Audio or Flight Group Audio Client that is separate to FSINN and allow FSINN to control the Audio path and PTT, that is all. ( I have Never bothered to use this function but control TS separately.

Even though audio can be routed through FS-INN you don't want to muck around with the connectivity, you need to keep Com 1 and 2 as VATSIM ie Unicom and local CTAF at the same time and can easily run Ventrillo, TS2 , TS3 3 or BOTH as additional audio channels if you wish but it is best to remove the tick from the check box for TS and Roger Wilco and use the VVL (Vatsim Voice Link) as your primary to Controllers as they will and are not useing TS that I can assure you.. Your Audio should be set to Direct Sound too with the speakers set to your default Room audio, in this way you have Copilot and VATSIM in your ear and Aircraft sound in the room just like the real deal.

You will still need to run TS3 as a separate entity and connect to a TS3 Server, you do not enter ANY TS details into FSINN Client at all as these are reserved for your VATPAC or VATSIM Username and ID which is why your getting the error you report.

With FSINN you have the ability to have a private or VA Channel too but most use TS instead.

Mapping of Keys and other buttons can be easily done too.

You have I can make time to recheck this in case it has changed and we can try an on-line flight Pilot/Co-pilot on Vatsim if you like to test things.

Thanks everyone, very clear now. Shame everyone does'nt use FSInn, as the VVL bar is so easy and shows clearly who is on what channel and it gives you two Comm channels plus a private channel. Anywho, one of these nights I will load up FSX with FSInn for the ATC and open TS3 as a separate program for private chat  and see how it goes.

Dan

Archived