Idaho Backcountry Airstrip Anomalies

Don Whyte

Been doing some P3D v3.4 flying in the rugged Idaho bush country. I noted some anomalies in a few of the airstrips. This came about when trying to replicate an FSX canned flight, "Introduction to Mountain Flying". This was a challenging flight from Bernard airstrip to Lower Loon Creek airstrip. 

I have Global Base, Global Vector and Open LC North America.

1. Lower Loon Creek C53, ID67. Lat N44 48.6' Lon W114 48.6' 

In P3D with Orbx products the airstrip is shown in a hole at altitude 4040', making for a difficult to impossible approach. Without Orbx active it appears correctly.at altitude 4200 ft. Or in fact there's a slight discrepancy between river and airstrip altitudes, with AirNav remarking that "ARPT LCTD ON A PLATEAU 50-75 FT ABOVE THE RIVER", a fact confirmed by watching Youtube videos of the approach. Google Lower Loon Creek to watch.

However this is what I see in P3D/Orbx

AFJo9oc.png

2. The Bernard U54 airstrip at Lat N44 58.7' Lon W114 44.1'

has a parking pad in the river.

Shd4OI9.png

3. On the way to Lower Loon from Bernard airstrip we see the Flying B Ranch 121D airstrip at N44 57.9' Lon W114 43.9' .

The airstrip is shown in the river.

bY9XpeL.png

Respectfully

Don Whyte

Hello,

with Vector added, the river is changed from the default stream to its actual size and shape.

Because the airport is misplaced and mis-sized, it is fighting with the river for elevation and therefore the

anomaly that you see occurs.

Here is the airstrip in default P3D

3.jpg

as you can see from Google Earth, it is far too close to the river.

(The white line is pointing to the aircraft position at the start of the runway in the simulator)

This doesn't matter until the correct river is added in by Vector.

4.jpg

You might be interested in Orbx Central Rocky Mountains product which does this:

1.jpg

and this

5.jpg

and this.

6.jpg

Aah I see... that answers a lot of questions Nick. I will look at the Central Rocky Mountains package. It looks like a lot of corrective work went into it.

Thanks for your efforts to bring that information to me! Too bad I missed the Christmas sales...

Don

Archived