Floating roofs - CityScene Gold Coast

Thanks for your response Nick.

I haven't had any suggestions after 2 days (gotta love crowd-sourced support forums!).

I've tried changing priorities of both City Scene and YBCG in the Scenery Library, but that didn't work.

How do I escalate the issue to someone at ORBX?

I can't test this right now as I had to take Gold Coast off my system for Orlando testing.   But, I have a rough idea of what might be happening.

In FSX/P3D, when you have huge/wide buildings and your POV is relatively close to them, sometimes part of building will disappear as you scroll to the building edge.   This is very rare, but it does happen.

Of course, the buildings you are identifying are not large  from a visual standpoint.   However, internally they are actually huge because the XpressSim software that creates these CityScene products will group large sections of buildings into a single MDL file (single object).    We do this for performance reasons.   If every visible building was compiled into a single MDL file, draw calls would skyrocket and the frame rates make detailed cities like, Gold Coast, Barcelona, etc...unflyable.    Around the airports, we generally disable the grouping logic because the POV is on the ground and may be very close to a building that could disappear if grouped.    In the air when flying, this is generally not going to be noticeable even if it happens (unless you are slewing around up close).

I see this happen on occasion.    And, there is a way to test if this is the case.    All you have to do is zoom out a bit or slew the aircraft some distance from the building.    If the building pops into view, then the problem just has to do with the way the sim handles very large objects and viewing angles.    The rooftops are also grouped.   But, the groupings are always slightly different enough that the behavior I explained won't apply in all cases.   If this problem is in fact due to the handling of large buildings in FSX/P3D, they I can tell you it is both rare and only will occur when you are flying very close to the buildings.

If you zoom out and the building never appears, only the rooftop, then the building may have been removed from a scenery build.   If this is the case, we can correct the issue eventually.  If it is the former, it is not correctable,.

UPDATE:  After reading Nicks post and the fact that he cannot duplicate it, would lead me to believe that this is in fact due to the way the sim processes large objects at close distances, at certain viewing angles.

12 hours ago, akriesman said:

Around the airports, we generally disable the grouping logic because the POV is on the ground and may be very close to a building that could disappear if grouped.

Thanks for your response @akriesman.

It appears that this issue only effects buildings around the airport. Zooming, slewing doesn't seem to make any difference though.

I'm not sure how, but uninstalling ORBX AU resolved the issue. Re-installing it brought the issue back. It seems like there's some sort of conflict.

Anthony,

This post caught my eye.  I just wonder what is your history of your current install of Orbx.  Please include approximate dates since you loaded those products within this region.  I do understand you may have had AU and Global installed before installing the Gold Coast.  It does require one or the other, but since it sits above these two, I am wondering if this could be the issue.

I recently migrated from P3Dv 4.3 to 4.4.  Not good for my Orbx products.  just too many issues came up, so I had to completely remove 4.3 and all addons.  My backup Orbx would not install the products.  I had to completely download all of the Orbx products.  The problem is the patches (upgrades) for the Orbx.  I had to go through each installed product and use the Verify key.  This downloaded all the missing patches/upgrades.  There were a lot.

Love flying the Gold Coast, but I do it with a helo for all the eye candy.

Wishing you the best.

Larry

9 hours ago, anthonyneave said:

Thanks for your response @akriesman.

It appears that this issue only effects buildings around the airport. Zooming, slewing doesn't seem to make any difference though.

I'm not sure how, but uninstalling ORBX AU resolved the issue. Re-installing it brought the issue back. It seems like there's some sort of conflict.

Is Gold Coast layered above these other layers in your scenery library ?   It sounds like maybe an exclusion from another 3rd party scenery (Orbx AU) is taking out some of those buildings.

19 hours ago, anthonyneave said:

Here's my current Scenery Library. Please let me know how is should be layered.

I am not an expert on layering Orbx products.   But, I don't even see the Orlando scenery layer in your screenshot.  So, it must be lower than 22, which is probably a problem.

IMO, you should always layer scenery so that the more detailed (and generally smaller) products are at the top.   For example, a really detailed airport package should be above the CityScene layers.  The CityScene layers, being the next highest detail, should be above all larger regional products.

Looking at your Scenery Library, try moving CityScene Orlando to the top (position 2).    The exception is whether or not you have a 3rd party KMCO or KORL product installed that is more detailed than CityScene Orlando.    In that case, the 3rd party airport should be just above CityScene Orlando.   

OrbxLibs usually seems to be on top.  But, I am not sure why.   This layer does not contain any objects that are actually placed.

I've moved the layers in the order you've suggested. No change.

Sometimes I make changes to the Scenery Library and the buildings appear, but when I reload P3D, they're gone again. It doesn't seem to make any sense.

This is proving to be too much of an issue. It's not worth stressing over. I'm going to put this one in the 'too hard' basket. 

Thanks for your help anyway :)

Screenshot (14).png

I believe I have the same problem with GoldCoast CityScene and P3Dv.4.4 (also posted earlier in another thread with no answers -

It was installed initially with P3D v 4.3 and did not have any problems with it until I upgraded to  P3Dv.4.4 (Client only).

GoldCoast CityScene completely disappeared   with 4.4

Then I reinstalled FTX Global, FTX Vector, FTX Au, Gold Coast CityScene and Gold Coast airport.

Now, when I take off from Gold Coast airport, only one skyscraper appears, and when I get closer I see also rooftops floating over all GoldCoast.

I can fly far and wide around it and zoom in/out all day long, but no other details will show up.

So, I believe it is an issue between P3Dv.4.4 and  Gold Coast CityScene. 

I don't have any problem with City Scene Barcelona that I have.

GC1.thumb.JPG.aff532619cb05ed7cd69215ae8f8abaf.JPG

GC2.thumb.JPG.1ab6bb40ea0eb2e063f4896a0506c38e.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

What happens if you press the Y key and then wait?

Nothing unfortunately.

The following 2 screenshots were taken from YBGC within 5 minutes of each other. Other than close P3D and reopen it with the same saved scenario, I have made no changes.

Notice in the first screenshot that the high rise buildings are showing, but not those in the foreground. In the second screenshot the high rises aren't showing (besides Q1), but one of the nearby buildings has appeared...

UPDATE: I've just found that adjusting the Scenery Complexity slider in P3D (up or down) seems to make all of the buildings appear, but this is only a temporary fix. The buildings disappear once again when the sim is reloaded.

I'm baffled! Any thoughts @akriesman?

Screenshot (19).png

Screenshot (20).png

1 hour ago, anthonyneave said:

I've just found that adjusting the Scenery Complexity slider in P3D (up or down) seems to make all of the buildings appear, but this is only a temporary fix. The buildings disappear once again when the sim is reloaded.

Not to step on Allen's toes but this caught my eye.  The fact that moving the Scenery Complexity slider up or down restores the missing objects suggests this might be related to an issue that first popped up in a v4.3 beta.  The problem was said to be the result of the addition of some new features affecting the 'race' between threads. (I gather that certain threads have to 'win' in order for objects to be displayed correctly. 

The issue was fixed for the v4.3 release but it has returned for some users of v4.4.  It looks like most but not all of the users with this problem updated the client and did not do a clean install.  Some but again not all have fixed the problem by regenerating the LM appdata files.  So far there does not seem to be a consistent fix. The LM guys know of the issue and hopefully will find the cause.

Again, this is just a possible cause of the issue; it may also be related to what Allen describes above.

7 hours ago, Larry_R said:

Some but again not all have fixed the problem by regenerating the LM appdata files.

Deleting the Prepar3d.cfg file in the LM %appdata% folder (forcing P3D to regenerate it) seemed to have fixed the issue for me...but then it came back.

I must be one of those unlucky people who still have this issue after a clean install of v4.4

3 hours ago, anthonyneave said:

Deleting the Prepar3d.cfg file in the LM %appdata% folder (forcing P3D to regenerate it) seemed to have fixed the issue for me...but then it came back

Interesting!  One of the Orbx beta testers had the same experience -- but with other no-show objects unrelated to a CityScene. I did a notepad ++ compare of his before and after prepar3D.cfgs and they were identical, so it's a mystery. Why should an identical  file make any difference? Who knows.

On 1/25/2019 at 6:16 AM, ElephantAir737 said:

So, I believe it is an issue between P3Dv.4.4 and  Gold Coast CityScene. 

I don't have any problem with City Scene Barcelona that I have.

I'm not sure this is a P3D issue @Larry_R, @akriesman. Has anyone reported similar issues with Canberra, Orlando or Barcelona CityScene using P3D v4.4, or even 4.3?

It looks like the Q1 building is still appearing for both myself and @ElephantAir737. Why would that be?

Just an FYI.   All custom buildings in CityScene products show when the scenery complexity slider is set to Normal or above.

As far as this issue goes, I don't have a clue what may be going on, especially if it is not consistent and reproducible on our end.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived