ORBX & P3D4.4 compatibility

I was using P3D4.3 with ORBX (Global Base, Vector, NA & SA Globals, Trees & Lights) and P3D worked great. I upgraded to 4.4 and CTD's were happening regularly. Went back to 4.3, again no problems, worked great. I Decided to give 4.4 another chance, CTD on the first go with a re-position.

It is my opinion their is something not right with P3D4.4 and the ORBX combination.

I love ORBX scenery and would not give it up, so I have gone back to P3D4.3 and will remain there until their is another version issue by LM that may work. I saw somewhere on a forum it was mentioned that LM are aware of the CTD problem with version 4.4 but are keeping it quiet, but this has not been verified; so this may have nothing at all to do with ORBX.

I think there is a slight misunderstanding here...

For some a CTD occurred because they did not follow the recommended path which was to update the client, BUT also to delete the configuration files and shaders so they can be re-generated by the application when next run. 

For others a CTD occurred because of changes to the autogen and draw distances which imposed increased load on the CPU and GPU although this was not too common, and was possibly the result of manual changes in the config file from the previous version, where the configuration file was not deleted..... i noticed a drop in fps, but turned down my autogen one click and all was fine again.

I also saw the comments about ORBX scenery, however I have no access to the source code or to the coordinates where the so-called CTD occurred, so I am unable to test, however I would suspect the issue to be caused by one of the above.

If you have the coordinates where the CTD always occurs, please share so that we can test

33 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Did you also delete your configuration files?

Yes Nick, including the Shaders. All that was recommended by LM I did; and I did do a full clean install of version 4.4 on one of the retries.

Regards,

27 minutes ago, TerryM said:

I think there is a slight misunderstanding here...

For some a CTD occurred because they did not follow the recommended path which was to update the client, BUT also to delete the configuration files and shaders so they can be re-generated by the application when next run. 

For others a CTD occurred because of changes to the autogen and draw distances which imposed increased load on the CPU and GPU although this was not too common, and was possibly the result of manual changes in the config file from the previous version, where the configuration file was not deleted..... i noticed a drop in fps, but turned down my autogen one click and all was fine again.

I also saw the comments about ORBX scenery, however I have no access to the source code or to the coordinates where the so-called CTD occurred, so I am unable to test, however I would suspect the issue to be caused by one of the above.

If you have the coordinates where the CTD always occurs, please share so that we can test

Thanks Terry; I can't remember the specific location of the last one, but two were 8 nm off of the west coast of Piarco (TTPP) and Crown Point (TTCP) using Latin VFR scenery for those airports; I remember the exact location because I re-positioned the aircraft to that distance. To stand corrected I believe the last CTD was between those same airports on a flight from TTPP-TTCP.

I do have my draw distances at max, but again I was following (this time) ORBX recommended settings; so maybe this is the cause of my CTD's. I will consider trying another upgrade to 4.4 and lower those settings.

Regards,

2 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

With no message?

Nick, I upgraded once again to P3D4.4 using LM suggestions i.e. deleting all cfg files, scenery indexes and shaders; and reducing the autogen draw distance as recommended by Terry.

I am now VERY HAPPY to report that following numerous re-positioning of the aircraft and a few approaches to the culpable airports of previous CTD's none occurred, and so far P3D seems stable.

Thank you and Terry for the fix.

Regards,

2 hours ago, TerryM said:

what about in the Windows Event Viewer..... if its a CTD you should see something in there, 

Terry, your suggestion of reducing the autogen draw distance seems to have worked. So far no CTD's.

Thanks,

1 minute ago, PortaNav said:

Terry, your suggestion of reducing the autogen draw distance seems to have worked. So far no CTD's.

Thanks,

Thought that might do it..... with the draw distances changing in 4.4, you were probably asking just a bit too much of your GPU/CPU; mine never CTD'd but I definitely noticed a distinct drop in FPS when I updated, and just dialing it back one click was all it took to resolve. Good to hear you're back up and running again; now you can enjoy the improvements in 4.4 :)

Archived