Installer failures

wiggers

Having wasted several days trying to get this to install I have finally found the support post that describes the issues I've had:

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/162971-true-earth-great-britain-solutions-for-installation-problems/

1. Most of the issues described in that post should be detected by the installer.

2. The locations for download, extraction and X-Plane should be user-configurable on the initial pages, before you start. Only the extraction location is configurable, and that's hidden in settings.

3. Disk space requirements are not checked. It spent hours extracting to an SSD that was only a fraction of the required size but I got no warning or error messages from the installer. The operating system warned me the drive was getting low on space but the process continued, so I assumed it was making use of the whole drive as swap space or something intelligent.

4. The need for the Visual Studio runtime should also be checked by the installer. I spent a lot of my working life writing installers that check for and install prerequisites as required. It's not hard to do.

5. I ran the Verify system in the installer. This took all night. When I came back to the computer there were no messages to say the installation had failed or that there were any problems that needed attention. But I still got the missing file message when I ran X-Plane. What's the point of a Verify function that does not tell you what the problem is, nor even that there is a problem with the installation? Worse than useless.

6. Why do you need a separate account for this support forum to the main download and purchasing system? When I clicked the link on the main site for support forums I got an obscure error message, so I just thought that was broken as well as the installer.

I'm annoyed because this isn't for me. My nephew wants this for Christmas, I am just trying it out so when he has problems I know what to tell him to do. I have much better things to do than waste time with badly written installers.

Archived