Elevation issue FTX England at area EGY8

AndrewJLindsay

Hello. I'm experiencing problems with the elevation at EGY8 (lake District Low fly area) Waypoint as there seems to be a huge peak i the terrain mesh at this point (image attached). I've tried deactivating the FTX EU package and it disappears but if I activate CRV, MESH or SCENERY it appears again.
I've uninstalled the area and run the Global Vector Elevation correction but this area is not included in the list.
My P3Dv4 mesh is set to 5cm. If I change to 19cm it also disappears but is not obviously suitable for airports such as Damys Hall. Its really irritating flying along at low level and crashing into the structure as it extends to 1083 ft. Can anyone assist please?

Elevation issue.PNG

Hello. I'm experiencing problems with the elevation at EGY8 (lake District Low fly area) Waypoint as there seems to be a huge peak i the terrain mesh at this point (image attached). I've tried deactivating the FTX EU package and it disappears but if I activate CRV, MESH or SCENERY it appears again.
I've uninstalled the area and run the Global Vector Elevation correction but this area is not included in the list.
My P3Dv4 mesh is set to 5cm. If I change to 19cm it also disappears but is not obviously suitable for airports such as Damys Hall. Its really irritating flying along at low level and crashing into the structure as it extends to 1083 ft. Can anyone assist please?

Elevation issue.PNG

I only have Orbx addons installed that cover that area. I use Vector, Open LC Europe and EU England, Scotland, Ireland, NR Ireland and Wales. 

I have Scotflight airports for north of the border all other Airports are UK2000 scenery. 

If switch off EU england in the scenery library the spike disappears as it does when I change the mesh to 19m.

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

I just checked the same location, with mesh resolution set to the recommended 5m, but also temporarily at 1m, and I'm not seeing a spike either. I slewed around the area but nothing popped up.

Where does the EGY8 marker come from? If it's coded as an airport perhaps it has an elevation and thus causing a tiny flatten?

Cheers, Holger

FTX EU ENG - missing terrain spike.jpg

Hello Holger,

Thanks for having a look at this that's really helpful.

I'll have another go with adjusting the mesh resolution but I din't have much luck last time unless I set it to 19m.

On my image it has a small blue stripe at the top of the spike. Not sure what this is or why its there. its doesn't appear on your screenshot.

I've no idea where the EGY8 marker comes from but I believe it is coded as an airport. Its certainly is marked as that in P3Dv4 when you select a starting airport for a new scenario.

Is there a way to easily change the elevation?

Thanks

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

the stripe could be a sliver of runway or taxiway, which would cause a local flatten at the "airport's" reference altitude. I don't have a EGY8 marker in my sim.

In any case I'd suggest searching your entire flightsim directory for "EGY8" so that you can figure out which add-on installs it. You could then either remove it or edit the file in the free Airport Design Editor (ADE) to match the local terrain elevation or remove the component that is causing the errant spike/flatten.

Cheers, Holger

Hello Holger,

Ah yes that would make sense.

I had a similar though and did search the orbx directory, appdata, programdata and P3Dv4 root folders for EGY8 but to no avail.

Would it be hidden in a script or file somewhere? 

I also used ADE to look for EGY8 but it could find it. I think the EGY8 waypoint is a default P3dv4 'airport' so possibly rooted somewhere in the base files?

It could also be a MAIW ai traffic waypoint perhaps?

Thanks

Andrew

Elevation issue distance 2.PNG

Problem Solved!

It turns out there is an MAIW flight plan file which adds EGY8 as a waypiont to P3dv4.

I've deleted it for now but will look at trying to change the elevation data in the file later.

This is not an Orbx issue. Thank you to you Holger and Nick for assistance with this and Orbx for such brilliant scenery products!

Andrew

Solved!.PNG

Hi Nick,

Yes its definitely the MAIW add on but I managed to switch its off for now. Can't wait to get back to flying at 250ft at 450kts without hitting the pillar.

I live close to this location so it great to be flying this route just like the real jets.

Thanks for all your help.

Andrew

Archived