OpenLC and Autogen...

Alberto Zanot

Hello!

I like OpenLC texturing, but i really don't like the autogen.

The default one is way much more various and eyecandy.
Is there a way to use the OpenLC in the scenery library, while using the default autogen?
Maybe renaming some BGLs in ORBX folders?
Also, on my system OpenLC is a real frame rate killer :( even if the OpenLC autogen itself is much more sparse.

Here is a comparison. Looks like OpenLC DO HAVE its own autogen, i wouldn't explain the difference then.
(It's Indianapolis city bytheway)

If i deactivate OLC, it looks like the default autogen is used.

If only it could be possible to use OLC textures, but default autogen, that would be great.

demo.jpg

Thanks, but could we please have coordinates for those exact locations so we can look closer? I was always under the impression that OpenLC uses the default autogen but just places it differently depending on the the land class.

Maybe @Holger Sandmann could have a look and clear this up for us?

Hi there,

autogen is directly tied to the corresponding ground textures and cannot be exchanged between texture sets. Wouldn't make sense anyway because you want the buildings and trees to be placed on the actual footprints visible in the ground textures and those differ substantially between default textures and add-ons like openLC.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I'd think the overall size and type distribution of commercial/industrial buildings in openLC is more fitting for that area than what your screenshot shows for the default sim: https://goo.gl/maps/heUYjpTqDE82 

Cheers, Holger

It happens everywhere in North America.

Ok, so it uses default autogen in terms of buildings, naturally, but it changes which building to show and where.

As you can see from the screenshots in a city like Indianapolis OLC puts small houses around the very commercial-downtown area of the city,  that looks poor.

Without OLC landclass, the default autogen puts more various-correct-nicer buildings.

@Holger Sandmann "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"... true :) but in my opinion my 2nd screenshot without OLC and with default autogen, looks more like the gmap real view of the city you posted.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again,

the Google Maps 3D image in my link clearly shows a variety of building and roof styles, not just the large square blocks that dominate the default CBD landclass as seen in your screenshot. If anything, both the default and the OLC-NA urban-center class ignore the presence of residential neighborhoods on the east side of downtown Indianapolis. 

I wasn't involved in the development of OLC but I consider its version of the urban-center class to be an improvement.

Cheers, Holger  

Archived