You Guessed it...

LowAndSlow

Thanks for the reply, sorry for posting the link twice, I actually meant to post this link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227176 to another computer.

Anyways, thats to bad about the G310 card, is there a better card that you would suggest? What caught me about that computer was the fact that it was so cheap, yet it has 8gbs of RAM, and it has a dual core Intel Core i5-650 3.2GHz processer, do you think that would make up for the low end card?

300watt power supply seems barely adequate for a Gfx card upgrade (actually seems barely adequate for what's in the box already)

No knowledge of Phenom stuff .. but the NewEgg system looks a bit "dated"

i5, bigger power supply, and and Gfx card update might be OK.  The memory is "just" by the look of it (probably the slowest DDR3 1333 there is, CL9 )

Problem with Gateway is you may be locked into their proprietary BIOS and your overclocking options may be limited ... but if you want to open the box, and there it is ... it will work.

My personal preference is to get a good local builder to build what you want (or do it yourself if you have the inclination).  Laptops are different ... buy those "off-the-shelf"

I was thinking about building it, but it I just don't have enough time to. Do you guys think I should just go with the Newegg one, then just update it? After all, the Newegg computer's graphics card is better and it's CPU has 4 cores and it is faster than the i5, and I've heard that FSX is a CPU driven game.

After a little research I learned that if you were to overclock the Phenom CPU, it can reach 3.8GHz with some work, but anything after that makes it unstable. It also won the Newegg customer choice award, which seems a little promising. I also read that in some tests the results were pretty comparable to Intel's i7 chip.

Wikipedia Definition.

Gateway;-  Opening in a fence, Internet routing point , Generic PC sold to the masses for pecuniary gain.

Straight up. for average Net surfing and Office use yes for Home PC and Gameing NO

I would never buy a Gateway PC and thankfully they are not marketed (not that I have seen anyway) in Australia.

They are generall of lower quality and designed for the Mass market and not specific needs of gamer's and simmers.

Although they may market this unit as "Gameing" I'd be VERY sceptical of the Graphics card while the Memory has adequate capabilities for most things.

While the i5 is newer generation it is in effect a glorified number cruncher and is NOT designed for high end gaming, remember it is only a 3.2 Ghz Dual Core not quad, also IMHO the case is far too small to provide unhindered airflow in and around components once they are installed with their cabling etc. Lastly the PSU is NOWHERE big enough to give efficient Voltages without a lot of heat since according to my calculations it would be running at or beyond 300 Watts .

Multi core PC that is generic at best in it's operation and certainly not optimised for flight sim in any way that I can see.

As for the New Egg  PC give today's hardware and what is available for the price it's as bad or worse especially considering the Title. and the fact they are selling with a nowadays out of date graphics card.

Do you have any suggestions? You have definetaly talked me out of the Gateway, that's for sure. I'm trying to stay around the 700 - 800$ price range, and this is mainly going to be for FSX, also, I can always upgrade later.

Thanks again for the replies!!!  ;D

OK My shopping list would read nVidia GTX285 Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R MoBo (NO ONBOARD SOUND), i7 960,  Creative XFi or Audigy Sound Card. 550 Watt PSU and the biggest MoFu'n Case you can buy with no less than 3 120mm Fans , the idea is to pressurise the case and force all the air back out through the graphics card and PSU ventilation.

unless you already have most of the hardware I think you might be hard rpressed to stay under your current budget , in Australia you would be.

But with carefull shopping you can do it I think.

Many people are horribly daunted but building their own PC but in reality it is very simple.

You just need to be careful with some components like memory modules but the rest is pretty hardy.

Most MoBo's have DETAILED but in some cases generic manuals but by and large will contain all the information you need.

I would advise using a minimum of 2 Physical HDD's and break these up for various applications and backup and have just your OS on a small boot drive or even a small SSD.

There will be plenty of assistance around if you get stuck and in the end you will have not only learned to build and maintain your own PC but have the pride in knowing you built it.

Now back to you list

Memory 4 Gb.......... Plenty (some would disagree)

Case ...................... Looks good (it may come with a PSU so check)

CPU ....................... Good price

Sound..................... great little card.

MoBo....................... This IMHO a very good board

Western Digital.......  Hmmmnnn I don't like 'em I prefer Seagate but that a personal choice. 

CD/DVD .................. WTF that is expensive ??

Graphics ................ Good Graphics card

PSU .......................  700 Watt is probably a little big BUT it won't do any harm as it will mean you have the power to run all internal devices comfortably.

IMHO Good quality at a fair price that will last you for some years.

Key points Keep things Cool by moving Air LOTS of it in and out of the case. Weekly or monthly clean it out with compressed air  LP now more than 20-30 PSI you only want to shift any dust etc stuck to fans and Heat sink fins,n not blow it into orbit. 

Maurice is right on target. I've built many PC's over the years, and the first time I did was without any training of any kind. It is really not that hard, and IF you get stuck, there is help right here. Today's PC parts, are, for the most part, very user friendly when building. And what better way to learn about your PC then building it yourself! Two pointer's I would give you...1) Don't touch the gold contacts on memory modules and PC cards, and ALWAYS touch something to ground yourself out before touching a PC component (like the PC case itself). Other than that, go for it!

Archived