Caboolture: YCAB

macca22au

Congratulations to the member of the Orbx team who built Caboolture.  It is a perfect gem.

Yes, I've just found it.  I thought Lilydale, then Redcliffe were the best, but not now.

Could I suggest to anyone interested that this has to be one of the best combined light aviation and gliding strips ever built.  Cars, people, gliders, hangars, a suggestion of the ordered untidiness of a real world airfield.  It is just north of YBBN, and north of YRED.

And it is also possible (or nearly) to smell the mown grass.

It is still one of the great thrills of GA to operate out of grass strips, and this gives it as real as it can be.

Hi Ian,

That airfield is an OZx strip made by John Hockings, who is also an OrbX Developer.

You're right, it's fantastic stuff.  Having started my flight training there a month ago I can second that the OZx version is extremely close to the real thing.  Top effort!

Cheers,

Matt.

Thanks Ian, very glad you're enjoying it. It was actually one of the first strips I built with custom buildings, and I'd love to go back and revisit it one day to improve upon a few things.  For the record, though I am one of the Orbx team ( I just did Caloundra with the ORBX team if you're interested) I did YCAB Caboolture for the OZx team who make freeware strips to complement the ORBX scenery products.

cheers and thanks again for the encouragement

Prof

John,

I would like to second what Ian has said about Caboolture.

It's an absolute gem and one of my favourite airfields in the ORBX/OZX line up.

I just wish there was an afcad so that it could appear in the FSX airport directory .... and yes I know the rationale behind this but personally I disagree with it!

Anyway, very well done.

Frank

Frank, hi and thanks also for your compliments. If I AFCADed YCAB, I think I would also have to make it flat, which it isn't.  At least that's what they tell me.  There's a file floating around the internet somewhere though which loads most of the OZx strips into a bgl which ends up with airports showing up on your GPS if that's useful.

cheers

Prof

It really ain't hard to find.  Take off from Redcliff, fly north/northwest across the bay.  You will see the town of Caboolture almost immediately.  Overfly and you can't miss the buildings on the field.  After all FSX makes them stand out before the other autogen loads.

Now this is no whizzwheel, no course setting, no nav exercise I know. But if you can't find it, you won't find much else. And there is a set of very distinctive hills in the background, known as the ....s

Archived