TE GB South for Mac installation

flyingdrill

I read Aimee's post on the work-around for us Mac users.    Is that going to be the final installation method, or do we just wait a week or so for you to issue the product in a form that does not require mucking about in terminal?   I can do this, but really..........???

Thanks Nick.  Yes, I know FTX Central is Windows only.  I have some of your products for FSX  in Windows.  However, I've been using X-Plane on the Mac since v8, and have installed countless airports, photo scenery, meshes, etc. (including your own Meigs!).   I've never had to resort to terminal.

What I was asking is why you can't just supply a zip file which expands to the relevant directories (or folders) containing the required files, ready to go.  You obviously have a reason, and I am curious as to what that reason is.

I'm still going to buy the product :-)

I was not involved but I am surmising that the method used is why the product

download is 26GB, yet the installed size is 127GB.

The textures are converted on the customer's PC, saving them and the company a

colossal amount of bandwidth.

I don't think a zip file creator could do this and no previous product uses this method.

It's not really "mucking about in Terminal" - it's a simple double click of a file. No biggy really? The cleanup file didn't work for me but it's a simple task to delete the jpg files that make the whole download manageable or even possible. Can't imagine serving a 100+GB file for direct download.

Anyway, the real point is that the scenery is AMAZING so get your wallet out! :D

Thanks Nick, and I suspected that what you have suggested is the reason.  I am quite happy using terminal, as I've been on Macs for years, but there will be many customers who have never seen "terminal".  

My initial "zip" suggestion should have included that Orbx could put in an installer with an applescript file that does all the work for you.  A bit like X-Aviation does.  

To rcmarple - Yes, a 100+GB download would be ludicrous :rollmyeyes:

Archived