Incorrect error: You do not have enough space to install TrueEarth Great Britain South

waynepiekarski

Hi there,

This is my first time purchasing ORBX scenery. I was able to download and install it on this system, but had an error running X-Plane so thought I'd try the verify option in FTX to check that all was installed correctly. Instead I got this error:

FTX Central

You do not have enough space to install TrueEarth Great Britain South.

Your simulator drive (C) requires 24.69 GB free. It currently has 3.81 GB (4093166053 b).

Retry?

However, this message is incorrect. I have 53.1 GB free of 458 GB right now, so there should be plenty of space.

Where does it get the value 3.81 GB from, since it is clearly incorrect? I'm running FTX Central - XP11 v3.3.1.4 on Windows 10.

thanks,
Wayne

@W2DR WinDirStat will tell you how much drive space is being used, but this value is going to be the same as the 53 GB that I already reported.

The problem is that the FTX installer has a bug and showing an incorrect value for the space free, and then it is popping up an error message which should not happen. The programmer who wrote the installer needs to look at the code and make a fix somewhere.

Also, I heard on some other forum that the TrueEarth Great Britain actually requires 128 GB of disk space to install ... if this is the case, then the error requesting 24.69 GB free is also wrong ... the install is not working for me, and the reason I got this error was when trying to verify the install, it failed part way through. Perhaps all the disk space values here are just wrong, using 32-bit ints when they need to be 64-bit, or multiplied by some incorrect scaling factor? From what I've seen in other forum postings, the FTX installer seems to have quite a few bugs in it.

17 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

The download is as stated and the installed size is as you stated.

I'm sorry I don't understand what this means ... how much free space is actually needed? 24 GB (from the buggy dialog box), 128 GB (from another forum post), or some even larger amount?

Hello again.

The download is 26 GB as stated on the product page.

1.jpg

This is on the release announcement page.

** IMPORTANT!! ***

THIS PRODUCT INSTALLATION HAS A DECOMPRESSION STAGE - The TrueEarth Great Britain South download size is a compact 26.0GB to save on download time, but we are using a new installation system where we decompress the ortho textures using FTX Central. This expands the total installation to around 125GB of drive space. The texture conversion process of 11,876 files can take between 1 to 2+ hours, depending on your CPU speed and the number of cores it has. It is normal during this process for the cooling fans to speed up on your PC.

The release announcement is presently on the forum Home page.

Untitled.jpg

Typically, as installer will need two to three times the size of the download to work.

On the FTX Central settings page there is an option to choose where the installation

takes place and you must be sure that your destination disk has more than 128 GB free.

Thank you for the clarification. So given that the installer actually requires 128 GB of free disk space, the error message saying that "Your simulator drive (C) requires 24.69 GB free" is also incorrect. This probably explains why when I load up the scenery in X-Plane, I get an error message, like I've seen in other posts on this forum. I've never had 128 GB free while trying to install this.

It sounds like there are at least three bugs here in your installer:

1. The available space from the install disk is completely wrong (I have more than 3.81 GB free).

2. The disk space you indicate is required is wrong too. (should say 128 GB instead of 24.69 GB)

3. During the install, when it runs out of space during the decompression step, it doesn't give an error message, and so it just fails mysteriously when you try to run X-Plane.

While this is documented in the links you posted above, the whole point of an installer is to check for error conditions and tell the user what to do to make things work. This probably explains the many other postings where people are having problems getting this to work.

FTX Central

You do not have enough space to install TrueEarth Great Britain South.

Your simulator drive (C) requires 24.69 GB free. It currently has 3.81 GB (4093166053 b).

Retry?

I would agree that the conversion process does not generate a warning if it runs out of space.

** IMPORTANT!! ***

THIS PRODUCT INSTALLATION HAS A DECOMPRESSION STAGE - The TrueEarth Great Britain South download size is a compact 26.0GB to save on download time, but we are using a new installation system where we decompress the ortho textures using FTX Central. This expands the total installation to around 125GB of drive space. The texture conversion process of 11,876 files can take between 1 to 2+ hours, depending on your CPU speed and the number of cores it has. It is normal during this process for the cooling fans to speed up on your PC.

Archived