My problems with TEGBS... similar to others I suspect.

twsimfan

I get the impression that if a fix is found for the problems some of the others are having it may well fix my problems as well. I posted the following "comment" on YouTube in response to Thomas Rasmussen's wonderful show off video for TEGBS:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wish it looked that good on my system. Alas it does not. I have no wish to bash ORBX or their products. I have dozens of ORBX titles for FSX & P3D... sims I no longer use. But my decision to move away from those sims had nothing to do with ORBX products. I very much enjoyed the ORBX scenery I had for those sims and that includes the EU England “region” which was and probably still is an excellent product. I am not saying that TrueEarth GB South is not a good product... this video would indicate that it must be. I own most of the ORBX titles for XP11 and all of the ones for AFS2 including TE Netherlands and I have nothing but praise for all of them with the single exception of TEGBS. I assume my problem started with the initial download. I got about a third of the way into that DL when I became aware of a red banner on FTX Central’s screen saying that FTX needed to be updated prior to the DL. I clicked on that banner which brought about a series of quick screens and ended with a new looking FTX screen showing the DL again in progress but starting from the beginning. After many hours of downloading, copying, & conversion I fired up the default Skyhawk at EGLC. Missing attractions include Tower Bridge, Westminster Abbey, Westminster Palace, and Saint Paul’s are missing in action as are most of the newer attractions that weren’t there when I lived in London but we’ve all seen in the movies. Some items appear to be just grossly disfigured. There is a flat bridge with an enormous block of flats plunked in it’s middle about where Tower Bridge ought to be and a flat round building where that big tent “thingy” should be. In another spot a building stretches across the Thames completely blocking that river. I assume that is taking the place of one of the bridges. So okay I figure some files must have been corrupted during or after the FTX update. So I used FTX’s option to verify the files. It downloaded some files and apparently did some other stuff but my next flight had identical results. Next I uninstalled the whole works (meaning TEGBS) and started a fresh install complete download & conversion. One disconcerting thing: the DL target size for this DL was 25.01GB while the size the evening, night, & morning before had been 26.01GB. What became of that other gig? Anyway this fresh install looks exactly as before. I tried another “file verification” which seemed to work harder & longer than the first but still no change. I have checked out XP11 with other scenery from ORBX and other sources and XP11 is not broken. Only apparently my copy of TEGBS. I even fired up AFS2 over TE Netherlands and it seems fine. Of course I have never been to the Netherlands so all I can really say is that nothing appears amiss to me. I seem to have some corrupted files in my copy of TEGBS but I am at a loss as to how to correct the situation.... especially since I have already done a complete uninstall, fresh DL, & reinstall with no improvement. I believe that this is a good product if only I could get a clean uncorrupted copy. I guess the point of this oversized “comment” is if you are going to purchase TEGBS please update FTX first and hopefully you can avoid this mess I’ve fallen into. I need to go to ORBX for support but first I have to let my frustration ease some so I don’t come off as a angry ORBX hater. I’m anxious to buy more of their products... especially for AFS2 but XP11 as well.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is quite long but it gives you a feel for what I've gone through over the past 48 hours or so. Like I said before a fix for the others will probably do for me too. Thank you.

Hello,

firstly, I regret that you have had such problems.

Instead of posting all that on You Tube, your time would have been better spent visiting

the product support forum, as you have now, where at least some of the errors you saw

could have been easily resolved.

Your assumption that the files were corrupt because you did not see the London landmarks

was incorrect and a simple reordering of the scenery_pack.ini file would have resolved it.

This would have saved you then uninstalling a perfectly good installation for no purpose at all.

There are many ways to frustrate an installation.

Updating the installer while an installation is in progress is not one I have read of before.

Before you go any further, I would suggest that you first uninstall the damaged version

of FTX Central and install a clean copy.

Once the new copy is installed, it may notify you that there is an update.

If so, please do this before you do anything else.

Then please go to the product page and make a manual download.

Then use your now updated FTX Central to install your manually downloaded file.

Here is how.

This will avoid any futher waste of your time and bandwidth.

Please leave the process alone until it is complete.

Nick Cooper,

Point taken. I had been reluctant to try that fix because I saw where another guy had said it caused XP11 to crash. I made a safety backup of the file and had at it. I am very impressed! This version of London seems way more detailed than what I remember from the England "region" in FSX/P3D... but then it has been a few years since I've seen it.

I used my comments on YouTube to formulate what I was wanting to say. I meant no disrespect and I believe I made it clear that I have no disrespect toward ORBX. I will go back to YouTube and modify my remarks. Then I need to explore TEGBS beyond London.

On a side note Mr. Cooper have you ever worked for British Petroleum or AMSELCO?

Thank you very much! :)

I said I will go back to YouTube to modify my Remarks and I shall. I used to work with a Nick Cooper and you kind of look like an older version of him. But then I haven't seen him in over 30 years. Thanks again for the help.

Archived