True Earth Technology in LC Regions??

BrettT

First off, let me point out that I think the True Earth product is pretty impressive.  I own TE Netherlands and find it to be a beautiful work of art.  What I don't particularly like about it is its foot print.  NE was about 75 GB.  GB South is 125 GB for one season. GB South is roughly 1/3 of the size of PNW or about 2/3 the size of just the US portion of it.  Assuming similar resolution that would have us looking at about 200 GB to 400GB for PNW for just one season.  Even with storage being relatively cheap, even a 2TB SSD gets filled up pretty rapidly for a very small geographic area and even more so if more than one season is used.  To put it in perspective my present installation includes all of the NA and OC regions and airports and comes in at a footprint of about 217 GB.

Where I feel TE truly shines is in the urban areas with ortho buildings and realistic layout along with the good performance.  A lot of the videos you see highlight these very areas.  I realize there will still be LC based regions and I feel that is a good thing.  Have there been any talks or potential plans of perhaps doing a hybrid approach to some of the existing LC based regions to give the urban areas (and maybe some notable other areas) the TE treatment and marketing them again as NCA 2.0 or something along those lines?   In my opinion this would really be taking the best of both approaches increasing performance and appeal with a significantly reduced footprint.

Not sure if anyone else likes this idea or approach but I sure do :-) 

Interesting point you make. I wondered about this. If those "footprint" requirements in terms of space on the SSD are true I won`t be signing on for any TE regions. I simply cannot afford the storage components required to accommodate them. This game is becoming the serpent that eats its own tail. Global is good enough for me. Not to mention the acceptable performance when you add a few Airports.

Thanks John,  I am familiar with the city scene product and own Gold Coast and find it to be a good product.  I was asking or perhaps even suggesting a LC Region product V2.0 if you will

Example: a LC based Northern California V2.0 with San Francisco Bay Area, Sacramento and Santa Rosa (and perhaps some other minor urban areas)  given the same "love" that Rotterdam and  Amsterdam were given in TE Netherlands

I feel this would really be taking advantage of the best aspects from both products. 

I`ll admit that a new True Earth PNW region would be hard to resist. On the other hand, a smaller footprint "City Scene" series would be a nice compromise provided the size is manageable for those who still want to collect the existing NA regions.

Archived