very slow download times in aus.

petejohno

Hi sorry if I am posting in the wrong place,

I have noticed the same very slow download speeds in Australia either manual or through FTX central my internet is 97 megabit down 36 megabit up but since a few days ago my downloads from ORBX have been 200 to 300kbps where as last week I was downloading from ORBX at around 7 to 8 megabyte per second.

It is as if my speed is being throttled right down by ORBX ?

1 hour ago, phoenix73 said:

Well obviously someone has helped someone with this. It would be nice to know what the solution is thanks.

Somewhere between the ORBX servers and your local node, the speed of ORBX downloads is being throttled.  I suspect an ISP or similar is to blame but when I approached Exetel about the matter they said it wasn't something they could help with.

Unfortunately I think we're stuck with it.  However I have heard that some have had success with using VPN so perhaps you could try that.

But as far as I know no-one knows what is going on, whoever is throttling the speeds isn't owning up to it.  I personally have no idea ow you might go about investigating this problem.

I get 512 -1024KB/s on downloads, so large downloads tend to be 'leave the computer on overnight' affairs.

On 10/15/2018 at 1:15 AM, phoenix73 said:

Hi sorry if I am posting in the wrong place,

I have noticed the same very slow download speeds in Australia either manual or through FTX central my internet is 97 megabit down 36 megabit up but since a few days ago my downloads from ORBX have been 200 to 300kbps where as last week I was downloading from ORBX at around 7 to 8 megabyte per second.

It is as if my speed is being throttled right down by ORBX ?

Thinking about it, some ISPs used to throttle download times if they suspected a torrent download. Virgin Media and BT here in the UK used to do that.

Might be worth ringing them to see if your huge download is being seen by the ISP as such?

• 2 weeks later...

sorry for my late response I have been away. I have NBN with down speed 100, up 40mbps. Actual speeds when downloading are 93mbps which works out around 11MBps. I am with iPrimus I am not sure why all of a sudden my downloads from ORBX have slowed right down from around 8MBps to 300kbps I was on the same provider with the same plan when I was getting 8MBps from ORBX. None of my other downloads are slowed even when downloading a torrent (which I have tried). Vpn will have an even worse effect on my speed because it cuts all my speed basically in half (I have tried a couple) I am also using direct Ethernet to my ASUS AC88u Router with a direct Ethernet connection to the iPrimus modem, cables are only 1 meter long and the phone cable also only 1 meter. I am going to try downloading something through ORBX direct app today and see if anything has changed and will post back B).

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

ok just tried downloading from ORBX manual download and speed is still around 300kbps. As I mentioned all downloads from any other source are in the 8MBps + range including torrent.

I am at a loss as to why only ORBX downloads are slow :(

4 hours ago, phoenix73 said:

ok just tried downloading from ORBX manual download and speed is still around 300kbps. As I mentioned all downloads from any other source are in the 8MBps + range including torrent.

I am at a loss as to why only ORBX downloads are slow :(

You will have to ask your ISP to investigate.  I don't think there's anything Orbx can do if the data stream is throttled somewhere after it leaves their servers.

On 10/14/2018 at 11:07 PM, petejohno said:

I have been downloading TEGB for 30 hours and have only 4.5gb so far. I am on a 5hz connection and cannot seem to get more than 50kb/s. I there an aus server like there used to be. It will take 5 days to download at this rate.

OK here's a wild thought - have you tried disabling any firewall or anti-virus program. Sometimes you have to do this - Milviz, for example insists you disable before download.

Worth a quick try for a minute to see if there's any difference.

Best wishes Mate.

I recommenced the download now I'm back home and the speed was now 1.7mps .

Only took an hour or so to complete the remaining files. 

In the future I will wait a few days after a release before purchasing again and hopefully the server may not be so busy.

And it was worth the wait Frizzelle !

4 hours ago, petejohno said:

I recommenced the download now I'm back home and the speed was now 1.7mps .

Only took an hour or so to complete the remaining files. 

In the future I will wait a few days after a release before purchasing again and hopefully the server may not be so busy.

And it was worth the wait Frizzelle !

Finally!

Phew!!  Well done - and make sure your scenery_packs.ini file is ordered properly!

• 5 weeks later...

after trying everything suggested including disabling all security and asking isp who came up with nothing as to why ONLY ORBX downloads are sooo slow I have just had to do an update to global vector and guess what... its still slow. As I mentioned I am not having any problem with any other source or type of download and internet is stable at 97mbps down. My isp sees no problem and I currently have zero protection including firewall off. This is a dedicated FSX pc so there is nothing in the pc to interfere with the downloads and also as I have mentioned before it was fine for a while even with firewall on downloading at 9MBps and then one day it just slowed right down and has remained slow ever since.

16 minutes ago, phoenix73 said:

after trying everything suggested including disabling all security and asking isp who came up with nothing as to why ONLY ORBX downloads are sooo slow I have just had to do an update to global vector and guess what... its still slow. As I mentioned I am not having any problem with any other source or type of download and internet is stable at 97mbps down. My isp sees no problem and I currently have zero protection including firewall off. This is a dedicated FSX pc so there is nothing in the pc to interfere with the downloads and also as I have mentioned before it was fine for a while even with firewall on downloading at 9MBps and then one day it just slowed right down and has remained slow ever since.

Your ISP will probably not be able to actually investigate properly, so unless they can supply you with a trace all the way back to the ORBX servers, the information above still stands.  ORBX cannot do anything about internet throttling between its servers and the Australian ISPs.

Archived