ATSB using Orbx scenery?

Perk

The autogen houses and trees look like FSX or ORBX Australia, but the Essendon buildings and the Melbourne skyline look completely different.  They may have made their own models for the video and/or investigation.  I still remember hearing about this and was utterly shocked.  I used to go shopping near where it crashed all the time, and lived not far from Essendon.  I still drive past all the time, and saw the damage for months afterwards.  

Not that I really had any idea, but I thought to myself it might have had something to do with the rudder, as the flight path changed so abruptly to the left and down in such a short space.  I kept thinking of a video I saw a while ago, of a plane that crashed at an airshow because the crew forgot to remove the strap or brace which held the rudder in position when the aircraft was parked.  It was like an instant graveyard spiral straight after takeoff, the plane turning sharply to the left and losing lift immediately after lifting off.

There's a lot of questions still.  I'd expect to be able to overcome rudder trim force with full opposite rudder pedal input.  Is that not the case in a King-Air or was there something mechanically wrong with the rudder in addition to the trim setting?  The flight path tends to indicate the pilot took off with full left rudder trim already input, but I'd expect that to have made ground handling problematic also and I'd like to think I would have stopped it on the runway if it was flaky on the roll.  Obviously though this guy didn't have a lot of time to make any sort of diagnosis.   I guess the biggest takeaway is "always use the checklist."

Archived