True Earth Netherlands AFS2 in VR

Shame the main thread was closed rather than just hacking off the OT posts, as I was interested what people thought about this aspect of the new scenery. Maybe it's my eyesight going fuzzy, but it seems to me that this Netherlands scenery in AFS2 is the most detailed and realistic I have ever come across, but as the detail ramps up, I'm really starting to be frustrated by the lack of definition in VR. I know the detail is out there, but I have to keep fiddling with the headset to keep it right in the sweet spot to see maximum detail.

It didn't seem too bad in the past couple of years in other sims, as you had to tone down the detail anyway to get the framerate, so you kind of accepted the limitations like we used to do back in the Pentium 166/15" monitor days. Trouble is now that things are getting good, AFS2 and True Earth combined seem to me to be highlighting the weaknesses of the current gen of VR. I'm really excited for the release of TE England after seeing Netherlands, but I can't help thinking we really need a CV2 headset to go with it.

57 minutes ago, John Hargreaves said:

I'm really excited for the release of TE England after seeing Netherlands, but I can't help thinking we really need a CV2 headset to go with it.

I was just talking to a friend yesterday, speculating about what the CV2 might be like.....

Well, VirtualLink is coming, and that would seem to make this a good time to unleash a new VirtualLink enabled VR headset......

https://uploadvr.com/virtuallink-is-a-new-standard-for-vr-pc-connection-backed-by-oculus-valve-and-more/

I think that Netherlands is pretty awesome even now, in the rift, though. Especially if you have the power to turn up the in-game render scale factor.

Render Scale Factor

This setting will increase your overall image quality. The higher (to 2.00 max) you go, the better the quality. Note - Adjusting this setting higher than 1.00 can greatly affect your performance. If your GPU (Graphics Card) can handle it, you will be rewarded with crisp, clear graphics in VR. Setting this to 2.00 should only be for those with GTX 10xx Graphics Cards.

Guest Colin M

More advanced VR headsets are on the cards and will be in production, but undoubtedly need more GPU grunt too, apparently the new Nvidia GTX 2080 cards should be available for pre-order on Monday but I'm not sure on price or performance increases over the GTX 10xx stuff yet, but the Ti version is going to be available at launch too ... most unusual, cant see them being cheap!

This looks a good next gen VR headset in my below link with apparently a fantastic FOV and high resolution, even supporting SLI for one card per eye .... yikes! SLI is all but dead in even gaming now, would take one dedicated VR Flight sim enthusiast to go this route, SLI GTX2080 Ti's and this headset that is apparently seriously expensive too :(

I'm still having fun with my CV1and AFS2 is one of the better VR titles flight sim wise, in no real rush to upgrade my GPU or VR headset just now, also really enjoying large screen 4K monitor usage for everything with VR just being used as an occasional treat and a change.

Seriously expensive headset apparently ... cant find the price myself, but thats what various forums are saying.

https://www.roadtovr.com/starvr-one-headset-revealed-with-steamvr-tracking-2-0-eye-tracking-upgraded-specs/

12 hours ago, yanlaoge said:

I very much agree. The bottleneck used to be the blurriness of the scenery, but now the blurriness of the VR device has come to the foreground.

But the next gen VR is on the horizon. Wish it would not be much long.

That's exactly what I was thinking, glad it's not just me. I think the lack of competition for intel and Nvidia over the last few years, as well as the cryptomining craze, really held back VR. In the two years since the VR headsets were launched, the price of a VR capable PC hasn't dropped dramatically, so entry to the club is still quite expensive. Hopefully if this 20XX series is priced sensibly, it might invigorate the whole VR movement once more.

10 hours ago, John Hargreaves said:

That's exactly what I was thinking, glad it's not just me. I think the lack of competition for intel and Nvidia over the last few years, as well as the cryptomining craze, really held back VR. In the two years since the VR headsets were launched, the price of a VR capable PC hasn't dropped dramatically, so entry to the club is still quite expensive. Hopefully if this 20XX series is priced sensibly, it might invigorate the whole VR movement once more.

Some people are claiming "VR is dead". I don't think VR is dead, but the mainstream VR might be another 5 or 10 years away. Yet there is much hope that VR for special fields will grow steadily ahead of mainstream adoptation. Sims for flight, racing, sports, etc. will cry for higher resolution and bigger FOV VR headset, even though it would mean higher prices and steeper computer requirement. Surely a flight simulation enthusiastic would not might throw another $2000 at a headset if he had already spent thousands on his expensive hobby? Where there is need, there is market, and there will be makers.

Archived