Nanaimo CTD with no warning

Lee H

Every time I try to load the new version of Nanaimo in P3D V4.3 to start a flight, it CTDs with no warning and nothing showing in the Event viewer. All my other ORBX sceneries are loading fine. I was wondering if anyone else encountered this. My rig is an i7 8700 32 GB ram, a 1080ti with 11GB ram and fairly standard settings.

Lee

Hello Lee,

No CTDs have been reported with the previous versions of CAC8 with downloads into the many many thousands.  There have been no prior reports with this update.  As scenery goes, Nanaimo is quite simple and I cannot think of any obvious cause related to a successful installation.  I’ll ask Nick to see if he can figure this out for you.  He will need specific information however, so perhaps you can post some of it now:

The exact point at which the sim crashes,

whether or not you  used the previous version successfully,

what aircraft you are using,

did you try loading with a default aircraft just to see if it would load

did you start a completely new flight or did you re-use and old one,

did you try forcing a re-install by deleting the version.txt file,

what other addons are you using,  

whether or not your ObjectFlow is working properly at other Orbx airports,

does the CTD occur if you try the exact same flight but with CAC8 unchecked in the scenery library,

does the CTD occur if you uncheck everything in the control panel,

and anything else you think might be pertinent.  

Well, after much experimentation I decided that there were older files from an earlier installation on P3D 4 still lurking about. I had made a clean completely brand new installation of P3D 4.3, but I think ORBX still kept some of the older files in previous folders from earlier versions and when I installed Nanaimo into 4.3 problems ensued. Now I completely un-installed Nanaimo cleaned out any associated files I could find and did a complete brand new installation into 4.3. Now it seems to be okay. The lesson for me here is that it might be better to clean older scenery versions out before installing newer versions, even when the scenery folders are separate.

I just checked again loading it up with a Milviz Otter, a heavier product, and it loaded fine.

Always something.. anyway, thanks for the input.

Lee

I'm glad you got this sorted out.  Just out of curiosity,  did the CTDs occur when using  an older saved Milviz T Otter flight after updating the  Otter?  Apparently using an older flight will not work or will cause problems per the update instructions.

Elaine has posted very detailed instructions on updating and re-installing P3D.  https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/137098-prepar3d-v4-tutorials-and-orbx-troubleshooting/

For others who may find this thread, in most cases it is not necessary to delete Orbx files but it's easy to forget to do one of the steps in the process.  At least it's easy for me to forget a step.  Unless there is something very unusual about your setup (eg using the "&" character in your Windows account name) FTXC3 should be able to sort everything out for you as well as manage any products that you wish to update. However you may still need to adjust some settings, like unchecking  dynamic vegetation if you use Trees HD, etc.

It wasn't Milviz causing the CTD. I think that the older ORBX folder for Nanaimo caused the problem. Once I removed that folder and made a clean brand new install of Nanaimo all was well. I am now going through all my ORBX sceneries and making sure all installations are clean and brand new. All that has to be done is uninstall the scenery first and then re-install. That seems to clean it all up.

Archived