Waves at PAJN

Cruachan

Hi,

I've been testing some stuff recently for a couple of Developers which necessitated stripping back the sim to a near default state. That's done and so now I'm in the process of reactivating everything. This evening I decided on having a pleasant flight at FTX: PAJN. All seemed well bar the appearance of waves where they should not be:

ZtuFLnN.jpg

I hate to admit it but, for the life of me, I can't recall what I should be doing to correct this issue!

I have the full set of Regions installed and the Migration Troubleshooter has confirmed everything has migrated correctly.

Some help would be greatly appreciated, please.

Thank you.

Regards,

Mike

8 hours ago, Stewart Hobson said:

Hi, Mike.  It's required for "full functionality".  Please check the product information for PAJN at Orbx Direct.

Really? This is the first time I’ve seen this issue and PAJN has been a favourite destination for quite a while. This has arisen since my strip back of the sim and now reactivation of various Scenery Library components. To me it looks like it may be a Class problem which is allowing the default wave effects to appear on top of the FTX PAJN textures. I’m no expert and, admittedly, this is all mere speculation on my part - in fact it could be that I am not using the correct terminology when referring to ‘Class’. I will look at the PAJN documentation. Thanks.

Regards,

Mike

Hi Stewart,

Sorry, bit slow on the uptake!

I now realise you meant NA Southern Alaska ('SAK') and, yes, it is installed along with all the other Nprth American FTX Regions.

Perhaps I should try reinstalling NA Southern Alaska? Think that would help?

Regards,

Mike

Hi, Mike.  No problem!  I guess you could try a re-install and see if that works, but if SAK is installed, I'm fresh out of ideas.  Probably time for Nick or Dave to step in; maybe they've seen this issue before?  Can't recall that I've seen waves on land before!

Stew

1 hour ago, Stewart Hobson said:

Hi, Mike.  No problem!  I guess you could try a re-install and see if that works, but if SAK is installed, I'm fresh out of ideas.  Probably time for Nick or Dave to step in; maybe they've seen this issue before?  Can't recall that I've seen waves on land before!

Stew

I meant Doug, not Dave!  Doh!

Hi Mike,

if you compare your screenshot with those recently posted by other users you'll notice that it's not just the surf effects that are wrong:

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/156898-around-pajn/

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/152708-the-incredible-beauty-that-is-pajn/

Either there's an installation issue with SAK and/or PAJN or perhaps your Orbx scenery library entries are in an incorrect position/order or a third-party add-on is overwriting part of the installation. I suspect it's an installation issue because the local terrain mesh looks too flat as well and that's not something that can be excluded by a third-party add-on (and any mesh add-on with higher compiled resolution would presumably show more detail/relief in the mountains rather than less). Also, the landclass next to the airport on the right side of your screenshot is not what you should be seeing with SAK installed properly.

Cheers, Holger 

1 hour ago, GlennH said:

Do you have vector installed as well? If so have you run the AEC tool?

Hi Glenn,

Yes and yes. Actually PAJN does not appear in the listings of the AEC tool. So I tried Pilot’s AM2 tool (FSGU-NG installed), but that did not provide the answer either.

Regards,

Mike

Hi Holger,

Good to speak to you again. It seems such a long time since last we exchanged posts! 

Thanks very much for your helpful suggestions. Also, those reference images should prove invaluable.

You’ve certainly given me much to think about.

I’ll try the reinstall route first - SAK, PAJN and the ORBX Libraries and report back.

Fingers crossed!

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Holger,

Sadly, the reinstallation of SAK, PAJN and the ORBX Libraries didn't produce the desired result.

Here are a few images which might offer some clues.

Also, I've attached my Scenery.cfg file for you to examine. You will note that many Scenery Areas are inactive simply because it allows speedier loading of the sim between tests....and I'm growing used to the experience! In future, I intend to enable only those Areas as are relevant for each flight. A few random Areas such as PAJN have been enabled for this troubleshoot.

Should I be seeing the ORBX Libraries entry in this FTX Central 3 listing?

1. T56qjaq.jpg

2. YvX3A7a.jpg

3. B8zxst8.jpg

4. iVDLAtL.jpg

5. mfizkTH.jpg

6. Mesh Resolution = 5m (PILOT'S FSGU-NG Installed). Yes, I ran the Vector AEC Tool again (After disabling PAJN in Pilot's AFM Configurator Tool).

TC8OPVd.jpg

7. 346J41X.jpg

8. rOzcrCx.jpg

9. Q1y2cs3.jpg

Thanks for helping me with this.

Regards,

Mike

scenery.cfg

8 minutes ago, Stewart Hobson said:

I'm wondering if the check box for "Empty scenery cache on exit" should be checked?  It has always been checked/default as far as I remember.

Hi Stewart,

I'm pretty sure that the box is unchecked by default. I've never tried checking it...until now, and still no joy, I'm afraid.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion.

Regards,

Mike

Hi Mike,

your scenery.cfg indicates that the four SAK entries are unchecked. Thus, you will only have Global Vector features active, which probably include the shorelines with the surf effects (the shoreline vectors themselves are invisible underneath the PAJN photoreal ground).

Stewart, the "Empty scenery cache on exit" checkbox is a legacy item from the days when parts of the scenery files where optionally retained on the installation CDs/DVDs:

Managing Scenery File Storage

If you performed a full installation during setup, all scenery data has been to your hard drive. If you didn't run a full install, the scenery files are copied to your hard disk from the CD as they're needed. To free up hard disk space, you can choose to automatically remove these files when you exit the application.

To empty the scenery cache when you exit

1. Select the Empty scenery cache on exit check box.
  2. Click OK.

Note: If you didn't choose a full installation during setup, and you select Empty scenery cache on exit, the application rebuilds its scenery indexes each time you start. This increases startup time.

source: https://prepar3d.com/SDKv2/LearningCenter/getting_started/the_world/scenery_library.html

Cheers, Holger

34 minutes ago, Holger Sandmann said:

your scenery.cfg indicates that the four SAK entries are unchecked. Thus, you will only have Global Vector features active, which probably include the shorelines with the surf effects (the shoreline vectors themselves are invisible underneath the PAJN photoreal ground).

Hi Holger,

I hang my head in shame, what a prize ejjit!! My humble apologies for wasting everyones' time.

I guess, subconsciously, I must have been assuming that NA Pacific Northwest was providing the necessary coverage. I should have twigged when Stewart asked me whether FTX SAK was installed. Never occurred to me I should have checked the Scenery Library!

Won't be making that mistake again!

Thanks everyone for your help and in particular, Holger for your patience while tolerating this nitwit..LOL!

To finish off, here's a nice piccie - maxed out the sliders for this one and not a wave in sight!!

GKKX8Rk.jpg

All the best,

Mike

Archived