Living the Dream

Hi all. My wife and I moved to our present location when we retired for one main reason--Fairchild AFB is just 5 miles west of us, Spokane International is just 3 miles southeast of us, and Felts Field is just 9 miles east of us. On a given day, I am watching KC-135s, P-3s, and F-18s on touch-and-go flights overhead, and 737s, 320s, Dash8-400s, Gulfstreams,  King Airs, Caravans, and numerous small GA planes going in and out just to the south, and once or twice a year the legacy warbirds or bombers going overhead to visit Felts over in Spokane. I often sit on our apartment balcony and just watch and listen. My question is--anyone else manage to live close enough to live flights to enjoy them on a daily basis?

I dunno, Rodger.

If you look at the VFR chart for the New York area, I live right under the eastern edge of the Class Bravo for the NY airports (JFK, LGA, EWB).  The attraction of the airplanes flying over is much reduced by the constant noise.  Besides, where I live is so wooded I hardly ever see them, just hear them (at all hours of the day and NIGHT).  Besides, although I guess that there is not an airplane I do not like, modern jets just don't thrill me that much.

On the other hand, I live close to, (and work even closer to) Farmingdale/Republic, KFRG.  This is the home of the American Airpower Museum, an well as the major GA airport in the area.  Watching the GA planes fly over is fun, but the real thrill is when the Museum has its birds in the air.  The B-25, T-6, P-51, now that's a thrill.  On holiday weekends they have other visitors, like a B-17, and B-29 Fifi from the Commemorative Air Force. a real treat when they fly near enough to see.  

Ken

I live within sight of Cardiff Airport across the Bristol Channel (12 miles) although not on the flight path I'm glad to say.  However,  from our apartment depending on the wind we can see the aircraft approaching and gaining height.

When Concorde was flying, it was supposed to keep to 250 knots over England but they were still climbing by the time they got overhead and we're so close to the Atlantic that they could see it.   The pilots had got impatient by that time and gave it full throttle.  The noise was horrendous.

All we hear now is the racket the bloody seagulls make when the wake up at first light!

Despite that, we love living here in the West Country. Far better place for oldn's to live than London.

John

Archived