NA Central Rockies - Large texture blocks appearing then disappearing

I have just purchased the Central Rockies region and have noticed that I am getting some ground texture popping in and out as I get closer to it.  It seems to be the texture that would represent forest as it appears mainly where densely packed trees are.  I don't see this behaviour elsewhere.  Below is an image to show one of these lighter shaded areas.  They appear as I get closer, replacing the darker green tiles, and then as I am even closer they pop out again and are replaced back by the darker green.  Is this normal or is there a setting I need to adjust in my sim P3Dv4.2

jlJVMnH.jpg

15 hours ago, Doug Sawatzky said:

Hi

Maybe consider the process in the below topic. 

Cheers

Doug

Hi Doug,

Thanks for the suggestion but it doesn't seem to have solved it.  Here is a short vid of what I am seeing.  Doesn't really show that as you approach the forests the ground texture turns to that lighter shade...….then switches back as you get even closer.

Just to add to this having flown around a bit more I don’t necessarily see this everywhere that this type of texture is called for and ‘i don’t see it with any other texture.

Also just to mention I am flying out of ORBX Yellowknife.  The video is from a couple of miles east of the airfield.

• Nick Cooper changed the title to NA Central Rockies - Large texture blocks appearing then disappearing

Took another flight today and really can’t see where this is coming from.  It doesn’t occur everywhere, it doesn’t seem to depend on terrain height changes.  

Even reinstalled ORBX libs just in case something had gone funny there but no change.

Would really appreciate any help with this as the scenery looks fantastic and ‘i just want to explore it without this issue.

30 minutes ago, Doug Sawatzky said:

Sure try the deleting the version file method first.

That method didn’t work Doug but using a jet I was fast enough to get a closer look and the lighter shade tiles seem to be a morph of water and forest ground layer.  i.e. within the texture tile there is the mottled look of the green forest ‘floor’ but the lighter shade appears to be coming from water ‘seeping’ through it.  Best way I can describe it ??? Swear I saw it shimmering!

Does that perhaps narrow it down at all or do you think I need to completely re-download?  I have a slow connection so a re-download is an overnight job to avoid infuriating other users :)

49 minutes ago, Doug Sawatzky said:

Maybe reinstall your OpenLC NA using the same method....other than that it sure seems like the morphing textures issue.

No luck there either I am afraid.  Taking another flight I am pretty sure its water. Catch the sun at the right angle and it shimmers.  Took some close ups to show what these tiles look like...as you get closer the switch to the darker green of the correct texture tile.

NLscsjF.jpg

AErAbfr.jpg

6X4zRAf.jpg

13 minutes ago, Doug Sawatzky said:

Ok, maybe try playing around with reflection and shadow settings in your P3Dv4.

Thanks Doug, will give that a try tomorrow night.  Any pointers on why that might be a cause and where to go with the settings?  I don’t have dynamic reflections on and don’t have much set up to cast shadows.

20 hours ago, Doug Sawatzky said:

Sorry, I am just grasping at straws, not sure why or what the cause could be.

Gave it a try Doug but no luck.  I also repeated the suggested fix that you posted at the top of this thread but still have these strange tiles.  It seems that once you get to a certain distance from the tile the black part of the mottled effect turns to a water texture and then once you are almost on top of it goes back to the black or darker coloured 'dry texture'.

Baffled by this one.  It is frustrating because the scenery is so good in this region, incredibly immersive, but this texture issue, when it occurs takes it away.  I've posted a video in Community Videos of a hop in this area and you can see that most of the time the textures behave themselves. Very odd!

9 minutes ago, Doug Sawatzky said:

Oh, maybe try it unchecked..

Will do.  Away from sim for a couple lf days now but once I am back in I will give it a try and report back.  Thanks for your patience with this one Doug.

I took a flight in the FTX EU Scotland region and in similar mountainous terrain and it all displays beautifully so at least I know my whole sim hasn’t gone daft! :)

On 6/5/2018 at 1:53 AM, Doug Sawatzky said:

Rob

If need be, also try switching the frozen water option in the regions control panel.

Hi Doug,  I deselected Frozen water in Vector and also Region settings and that did the trick.  Much appreciated and thanks again for your patience with this one!

Archived