Dam Windows update.

Dadtom65

Just had the last Windows update and I’ve lost another 10gig or more on my Windows Ssd. Used to be just steady 50gb left of a 111gb Ssd all the time. Now seems to have gone down to just over 30gb. Think I’m still ok with that amount left as long as nothing else gets put there. Been wondering if I should change my Windows to my 250 Ssd but that means a complete reinstall of everything. Dam. Derek.

Those big Windows updates are always creating a backup called Windows.old on your C: drive using quiet some gigabytes of disk space. As soon as you are happy with the update and absolutely sure that you won't go back, you can delete the Windows.old folder following this procedure: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-properly-remove-windowsold-folder-windows-10

9 minutes ago, Matthew Kane said:

Run Disk Clean-Up and Clean Up System Files, in there is the option for Windows Update Clean-up.

I currently have 58 GB left on a 111 GB Windows Drive

Hi Matthew. Is disk cleanup all ready on my system. Derek.

25 minutes ago, Dadtom65 said:

Hi Matthew. Is disk cleanup all ready on my system. Derek.

Yes it is, just do a search on your system for Disk Clean-up. When the menu opens up click on Clean-Up System Files. It will open another menu, in there you will see the option for Windows Update Clean-up. 

You may find it hangs at times when cleaning up Windows Update files, that is normal

30 GB minus for me :) I didn't know about this store system of previous versions. Anayway, when you download the upgrade, often the pc freezes if you are working on something heavy. The bad is that you don't know Windows is downloading if you don't go to see in the event viewer.

30 GB minus for me [emoji4] I didn't know about this store system of previous versions. Anayway, when you download the upgrade, often the pc freezes if you are working on something heavy. The bad is that you don't know Windows is downloading if you don't go to see in the event viewer.

That's interesting. I didn't know it downloads in the background without telling you. With our internet connection, if you're running a download on one PC the internet on other PCs on that network have very slow internet. I need to run my large downloads over night or when no one else is using the internet to prevent everyone from being slowed down. Maybe this windows update thing explains why everyone is having slow internet sometimes when I did not intentionally start a download.

Yes, depending on how many devices you have connected to a same router, the band is splitted but it depends also on what you are doing with internet in every single device. For instance if i download a file and my wife is watching a video or playing on internet, it's not that my download slows to a half band. It seems to me that the router can evaluate the need considering all the devices connected in a moment. But probably when you download a operating system upgrade is different, i notice that the computer becomes very slow sometimes. With the last upgrade, i was working in Photoshop and the program stopped responding for 2 times, i had to reboot the system, but for instance the program never freezed before, so it's related to the window upgrade procedure. And yes, in my pc the Windows update works in background, i notice that maybe is downloading it because it becomes slow, but not mainly for the connection. Maybe when there is the extraction of the files to install or who knows :)

Archived