KPDX workaround?

turbo9

I have Global Base+Global Vector+NA openCL+Pacific NW on FSX Sp2.  The depiction of KPDX (Porland, Oregon) in ORBX is conflicting with the correct  AFCAD display and as result, runways are out of alignment and higher than surrounding field elevation.  The AFCAD I use is spot-on with the current charts with correct elevation of 31 ft.  The FTX version shows 17.9 feet for the field elevation. My attempt to disable the AEC in the Vector Control panel failed because it is not listed in either column.  I ran the automatic configuration again but still no joy!   I have tried to modify the AFCAD with ADE but there are still buildings, artifacts, and static aircraft that are being incorrectly displayed.  I attempted to exclude library functions and generic buildings from the AFCAD but that caused my jetways to disappear.  The preferred solution, of course, would be just to exclude KPDX from FTX airport elevation corrections but how do I do that if it is not displayed in the airport elevation correction menus?

I am a brand new user.  I certainly hope this problem is not one that I will continue to encounter with other AFCADs.

Craig

Hi Nick!

Let's try this again.  The elevation of ORBX KPDX is in confict with the FSX AFCAD for KPDX.  The remedy should be to go into Vector control/airport elevation and move KPDX from "AEC  enabled" column to "AEC disabled column".  The problem is that KPDX is not present in either the AEC "enabled column" nor in the AEC "disabled column".   FTX has the wrong elevation for KPDX and it is causing mixing up of the scenery items as well as preventing the runways from displaying.  The elevation according to the charts is 31 ft and my current  FSX AFCAD has everything correct.  FTX, however, has it wrongly constructed at 17.9 ft.  Both renditions attempting to display at the same time causes a mess.  The ORBX FTX depiction of this airport is totally inconsistent with the charts and therefore should be disabled in order for the airport again to be useable.  As a workaround  I attempted to modify the FSX AFCAD to match the errors in FTX but am unable to successfully accomplish it through that means.  I need a way to disable it from displaying  without having to disable my recent purchase of entire Pacific Northwest module..

Craig

Hello,

I see that the elevation of the FTX airport is different and incorrect.

Because it has changed the airport height, it needs and uses an elevation adjustment file,

to be found at scenery\world\scenery\ADE_FTX_PNW_KPDX_elevation_adjustment.BGL.

I don't understand why your PNW airport version is not working correctly, as it is designed to

exclude the FSX default version and should be doing so.

This would indeed leave the airport at 17.9 feet but it should display correctly and you should

be seeing only one airport version.

Is your scenery library in the correct order?

If you wish to disable the PNW version, as well as the elevation adjustment file, you will need to

disable the three KPDX files to be found in the ORBX folder.

Hi there,

FYI, the reason the PNW KPDX altitude differs from the default value of 31ft is because the actual ground elevation at KPDX is lower, ranging from 17ft to 23ft, according to the latest available LIDAR terrain data from the USGS. Since PNW includes those data for its terrain mesh files keeping KPDX at 31ft would have resulted in a very noticeable plateau.

In any case, as Nick has pointed out removing those four PNW KPDX files will allow you to place your own files. Obviously, you'll then either need to accept that your KPDX sits on a plateau or you'll need to place sloped flattens around the perimeter to blend it with the surrounding terrain.

Cheers, Holger

@Nick; @Holger

That was exactly the information I needed.  I deleted the four files; reset my AFCAD back to chart value (31 feet) and then added flatten polygons to blend everything in.  KPDX now is simulated again as per latest charts.  Thank you both very much.  The scenery is awesome but I am hoping that setting the sliders as recommended won't result in scenery stutters.  Only testing in dense areas will tell the tale.  

Craig

Archived