Pilot's Aerodrome Flattening Meshes (AFM) and Global Vector

Do AFM (coming with Pilot's mesh products) and FTX Global Vector work together?

1. Do both elevation correction tools actually do the same or do Pilot's Aerofrome Flattening Meshes take other actions then Global Vector Airport Elevation Corrections?
2. Can I apply a meshcorrection with AFM without getting conflicts with Global Vector Airport Elevation Corrections in the Vector Configurator?
3. Some freeware airports files come with a meshcorrection file that goes in Main FS directory - Scenery - World - Scenery. If these airports are used in combination with Global Vector Airport Elevation Corrections, should I also use those airport correction files that come with the freeware airport, or should I not use them, because they conflict with Global Vector Airport Elevation Corrections ?

Thanks for your explaination,
Bram Stikkel

The FlightSim Store Order nr 283121

Hello,

for question 1 and 2:

Here is Pilot's explanation, found on their website.

AFM - Aerodrome Flattening Meshes (FS9/FSX) 

Attention: You are currently not logged into your account. Log into your account to obtain access to special upgrades, prices and offers.
AFM - Aerodrome Flattening Meshes (FS9/FSX)
Standard
29,99 EUR

ATTENTION! This version of AFM was NOT designed to work with AEC corrected airports of FS/FTX Global Vector. It does work will all other airports even when using FS/FTX Global Vector!

Does NOT work with FS Global Ultimate - Next Generation, which comes with its own AFM2.
 See product page for details.

We are considering to offer this V2.0 soon as stand alone.

Question 3

Some freeware airports files come with a meshcorrection file that goes in Main FS directory - Scenery - World - Scenery. If these airports are used in combination with Global Vector Airport Elevation Corrections, should I also use those airport correction files that come with the freeware airport, or should I not use them, because they conflict with Global Vector Airport Elevation Corrections ?

The files you refer to are not "meshcorrection files" but, as most of them are named, elevation adjustment files.

If you interfere with them, the airport will not work regardless of any Pilot's correction software.

Hello Nick,
Really thanks for your direction to the Pilot's info and the explanation of the elevation correction files.
1. Just to check whether I do understand Pilot's info correctly: I understand , that Pilot's AFM (or AFM2 I suppose) can be used on airports that Vector's AEC is not enabled for ?

2. Is there some info about what factor determines if Vector Airport Elevation Corrections enables or disables at an airport?

Thanks again!
Bram Stikkel

If the airport is in the Vector database, you will find it in the AEC section of the Vector control panel.

If it is not there, it does not have a Vector AEC and so in theory, you could use the AFM tool for that

airport, although it is unlikely to be needed.

Note that the AFM tool does not change the airport, it changes the terrain around it, usually removing

all the features that were the purpose of adding the payware mesh in the first place.

Hi Nick,
Thanks for your reply again.
I understand, I can see in the AEC tab itself if an airport is EAC activated or not.

1. My 2nd question in the previous reply actually was :  based at what factor, EAC determines if it needs to put an airport in the AEC active list?
2. Does AEC also check for new added airports, so airports that do not exist in FSX default, but that are newly created?

Thanks for your explanation again !
Greetings,
Bram 

Hello,

the airports in the AEC database are those default airports that the Vector developers

decided were outside their parameters and for those, there is an AEC.

The elevations of some default airports are already inside the parameters and for those,

there is no AEC.

If an add on airport adds its own custom elevation, this will conflict with the Vector AEC

and it will need to be disabled for that airport.

The Vector auto configuration checks the scenery library and if there is such an add on

airport, it will disable AEC for it.

If the add on airport is not in the simulator database, it is also not in the Vector database,

so there will be no AEC for that airport.

Archived